How to Distribute Dashboard and Implement Section Access

Andy Rizutto from NxGen Consulting showed me how to do this, so I thought to share.

How do I distribute the dashboard to the Access Point?

Dashboard distribution is the mechanism that controls who can see dashboards within the access point.  This value is set in the QlikView Enterprise Management Console (QEMC), scheduled as a part of the task that refreshes a dashboard.

Distribution can be done to individual accounts or to network groups, within the company domain.

How do I implement Section Access?

Section Access allows access to subsets of the data, using a key and the network domain account to restrict the data that will display.

1. Security Script

Update the code to include an inline table so that the dashboard will be distributed from the script itself, even if the part of the code actually calling the section access does not work.

Section Access;

//   ***************

LOAD * INLINE [

ACCESS, %FLAG_ADMIN, NTNAME

ADMIN, Y, ACCOUNT_Running_the_QlikView_Server

ADMIN, Y, Dashboard_Developer 

];

2. Section Access Table

The second part concatenates the fields from the section access table for the dashboard to the inline table. Add the section access table to the QEMC.

Capture.JPG

Note the section access table URL.

Capture.JPG

2. Section Access Script

This step tells the QlikView server what security table to use when refreshing the dashboard.

Within your QlikView client, follow the menu path: Insert > Section Access > Publisher Authorization.  Enter the URL appropriate to the environment in which you are working.

Choose the appropriate values from the screens and get to Finish.

Your script will be populated to load the security from this table.

Section Access;LOAD [ACCESS],

NTNAME,

%FLAG_ADMIN

SECROLE

FROM
[http://qvserver:4780/QMS/AuthTable]
(
html, utf8, embedded labels, table is CLEAR);

Section Application;

2. Implement in Dashboard

Open the QVW.  Choose Settings > Document Properties.  Switch to the Opening tab.

Check Initial Data Reduction Based on Section Access and Prohibit Binary Load (but leave Strict Exclusion unchecked) and click OK.

Capture.JPG

Save the QVW.  Reload the QVW.

The dashboard should now be applying security according to the security section access table.  Keep in mind that if changes are made to the security section access table, they will not be available until after the next dashboard reload is completed.