Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW

QlikView App: Dynamic Date Dimension

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

QlikView App: Dynamic Date Dimension

Last Update:

May 29, 2013 5:27:49 PM

Updated By:

stevedark

Created date:

May 29, 2013 5:27:49 PM

Attachments

This example shows a chart with a Dynamic Date Dimension, that shows a different date type based on the possible values of each date type.

Natively QlikView allows for Drill Groups of fields, which makes it simple to create a drill down from Years, through Months and down to Dates.  This works well, but does not allow the user to view months across two years, or even some months at the end of one year and the beginning of the next.

By using a Calculated Dimension this example chart chooses which date type to show, Year, Month or Date based on the number of possible values for each of those date types.  This allows for a much more dynamic and intuitive view of values over time.

Steve Dark

http://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/

Labels (1)
Comments
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Please note that I have posted an update to this application, which allows drilling down to hourly intervals - should you need to do so:

QlikView App: Dynamic Date Dimension - With Hours

Enjoy.

Steve

jrdunson
Creator
Creator

Steve,

Thanks for this... I've tried to setup this in a dashboard...and it seems to work, except for the scale of the grid... for instance, if I drill down to less than 36 months...here is what I get..the grid stays the same, though the values are less.  How do we re-size the scale also?  - Jarrell

jrdunson
Creator
Creator

I also tried under Layout:  "Size to Data" but it didn't work

jrdunson
Creator
Creator

Steve, found a solution...using "Show All Bars" (and tweeking the formulas), so you can disregard.  Jarrell

donleeqlikview
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Hi Guys,

Can you give some example of this kind of App including the Quarter date.

Year > Quarter > Months > Days

thanks a lot

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You can achieve this by adding another nested if,  between year and month.  You will need to do this for both dimension and legend.

If you don't have any joy let me know and I will take a look when I am next able.

donleeqlikview
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Thanks Steve, I already got it.

My problem now is how to enhance the charts of qlikview.

maybe you can give me some sample.

Thanks a lot

Don

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

In what way enhance? There are a number of properties you can change that

will improve the look of your charts. If you can describe what is wrong

with the ones you have I may be able to help you enhance them.

Steve

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very very interesting, thanks.

I am trying to complete some charts and this example is very useful.

But do you know if it also applicable for QlikSense ? thanks

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Yes, it should work the same.  In Sense now it is less required as you have the continuous scale and the scrolling functionality.  What this doesn't do though is aggregate up the values in the different date periods - rather it just squashes the line and changes the legend.

Version history
Last update:
‎2013-05-29 05:27 PM
Updated by: