Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How can I calculate average fields without showing a field?

Hi,

I have the following issue. I need to show how many days campaigns are live by 'Advertiser'. I can calculate days live by 'Campaign', including 'Advertiser' and 'Campaign' in a pivot table, but when I don't show 'Campaign' field, days live appears as a sum, and not like an average.

E.g: Advertiser Abril, has 2 campaigns (1 Cyrela - 2 Porto Seguro). Cyrela was live 31 days, and Porto Seguro was live 3 days. In a pivot table, I include:

'Advertirser' -> 'Campaign' -> 'DaysCampaigns' and information is shown properly. But when I exclude 'Campaign' fields from the pivot table, Abril appears with 34 days live (31+3), and I need to show information as 17 days live (31+3)/2.

I would appreciate someone's help. Attached file

Thanks

Guido

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Hi Guido,

try following expression:

=sum(DaysCampaigns)/count(distinct Campaign)

this should give you the average duration of a campaign.

It's kind of logical that the values appeared as a sum and not as average before, since the expression was a sum of DaysCampaign, isn't it? And if you remove the Campaign field, QlikView will aggregate /sum up to the Advertiser dimension level, so you will get 34 in your example. If you want something different from a sum, we need to tell QV what we want, and there are a lot of different functions available. Please have a look at the chart aggregation functions in the Help.

Regards,

Stefan

View solution in original post

8 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Hi Guido,

try following expression:

this should give you the average duration of a campaign.

It's kind of logical that the values appeared as a sum and not as average before, since the expression was a sum of DaysCampaign, isn't it? And if you remove the Campaign field, QlikView will aggregate /sum up to the Advertiser dimension level, so you will get 34 in your example. If you want something different from a sum, we need to tell QV what we want, and there are a lot of different functions available. Please have a look at the chart aggregation functions in the Help.

Regards,

Stefan

Not applicable
Author

Ich werde ab 05.09.2011 nicht im Büro sein. Ich kehre zurück am

Ich werde Ihre Nachrichten nach meiner Rückkehr beantworten.

Diese E-Mail kann Betriebs- oder Geschäftsgeheimnisse oder sonstige vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Sollten Sie diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, ist Ihnen eine Verwertung des Inhalts, eine Vervielfältigung oder Weitergabe der E-Mail ausdrücklich untersagt.

Bitte benachrichtigen Sie uns und vernichten Sie die empfangene E-Mail. Vielen Dank!

pho3nix90
Creator II
Creator II

according to the data from your uploaded file, all days are 1 in the field DaysCampaign, so, the average will be 1, but try the following if your data is different.

avg(DaysCampaign)

swuehl
MVP
MVP

pho3nix90,

I believe we are looking at some very granular data, maybe some kind of transaction data. If you do a

avg(DaysCampaign) on that level, you would get numbers <=1 (not always 1, there are some zero DaysCampaign values also).

But as gdigiorno stated, he expects the average on a campaign level, so you have to sum up the granular data.

If you want to use the avg() function, you could use:

=avg(aggr(sum(DaysCampaigns), Campaign))

for that, but that's more complicated IMHO, especially for a starter with QV.

Regards,

Stefan

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I tried the following formulas:

=avg(aggr(sum(DaysCampaigns), Campaign))

Both are OK. If I exclude "campaign" field, these formulas returns

'Advertiser's average.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Guido

2011/9/5 swuehl <qliktech@sgaur.hosted.jivesoftware.com>

QlikCommunity <http://community.qlik.com/index.jspa>

Re: How can I calculate average fields without showing a field?

created by swuehl <http://community.qlik.com/people/swuehl> in *New to

QlikView* - View the full discussion<http://community.qlik.com/message/146520#146520>

Not applicable
Author

Diese E-Mail kann Betriebs- oder Geschäftsgeheimnisse oder sonstige vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Sollten Sie diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, ist Ihnen eine Verwertung des Inhalts, eine Vervielfältigung oder Weitergabe der E-Mail ausdrücklich untersagt.

Bitte benachrichtigen Sie uns und vernichten Sie die empfangene E-Mail. Vielen Dank!

Not applicable
Author

Not applicable
Author