Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Custom Sort By Expression

Hi. I have a dimension in a pivot table called Label.

The values of the labels are text strings. There are 5 of them.

'Very Big Label'

'Medium Big Label'

'Small Label'

'Default Label'

'Insignificant Label'

The people I am building the report for always want to see the labels in this order. I can't sort by Text, or Load order, or frequency, so I am wondering if I can create a custom expression to sort them in this order. But I am not very good with the expression language. Can anyone help me write an expression which will sort them in the correct way?

Thanks,

-JC

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
prieper
Master II
Master II

Sort by the Result of the MATCH-function:

MATCH(CustomerRank, 'Very Big Label', 'Medium Big Label', 'Small Label', 'Default Label', 'Insignificant Label')

HTH
Peter

View solution in original post

8 Replies
prieper
Master II
Master II

Sort by the Result of the MATCH-function:

MATCH(CustomerRank, 'Very Big Label', 'Medium Big Label', 'Small Label', 'Default Label', 'Insignificant Label')

HTH
Peter

Not applicable
Author

I am trying to get this to work. In your formula what is CustomerRank?

prieper
Master II
Master II

This should be your fieldname for the grouping of the customers.

++
Peter

Not applicable
Author

The field name with these values is Label. Is that what you mean?

prieper
Master II
Master II

yes!

++
Peter

Not applicable
Author

Hi all,

this Match expression works great to sort my list box content being "red", "yellow", "green".

However, as soon as I select a value, this value is moved to the bottom of the list which is quite confusing for the user. How do I keep it from moving when I select?

CELAMBARASAN
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

Hi,

In sort tab-->uncheck the sort by state option which makes possible or selected values to the top.

Celambarasan

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

somehow I got it to work, but I don't know how. The "sort by state" option is actually disabled at this moment. See below. Perhaps that is triggered by some other setting. But now I know what that option is doing - thanks 🙂

ScreenShot_04 Apr. 13 15.25.jpg