Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to store downloaded ODBC data

Hi to all,

I 'm connecting to an ODBC server to download data, I would like to know if there is a way to save the downloaded data in a local file in order to modify fields name without re-connecting to the server every time I modify something in the script.

Thanks

Francesco

3 Replies
jjfabian
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Francesco,

you can use a store statement after your load. This will store a qvd into a specified location.

The example below would store the qvd into the same location as your qvw file; you may specify this further if you want to. I would suggest creating a qvd folder in your qvw folder.

The drop after the store will drop your table from your file.

After this you should load your stored qvd with a new qvw file or just comment out the initial ODBC load.

YourQVTable:

LOAD *;

SQL SELECT * FROM YourODBCSource;

Store YourQVTable into YourQVTable.qvd (qvd);

Drop Table YourQVTable;

Hope this helps,

Jakob

Not applicable
Author

Hi Francesco,

I use an automatic script to automatically load all tables from my data source into QVD-files (including daily snapshots/backups)

After first run automatically created variables allows you to decided to load all tables or update QVD files for specific tables only when running the script.

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Francesco,

You may want to take a look at the information and video here http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-2831 - this will enable you to easily extract data from source files, database tables, Salesforce and more and write it out to multiple target files, databases etc.

It also allows you to extract QlikView table field metadata from QlikView .qvd, .qvx and .qvw files to create QlikView schemas within the product. You can then use those schemas to map to another incoming source of data and write out to a QlikView .qvx file - all in the same product.

We are finding that many existing QlikView users are adding tools to their toolbox for certain developmental tasks and expressor Studio is one of them.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike Tarallo

@mtarallo

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik