7 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2012 8:35 AM by swuehl RSS

Creating a graph where you can choose different years... (noob)

Erik Hultgren

Hi!

Im totally new to qlikview, i have tried to look at some videos and stuff but i have som questions now and im hopefull that someone here can help me out.

Im having a excel file, with jan-dec and every month have a value say between "0-500" and then i have this information for 2 years. I have managed to create a barchart for each year, but i really want a graph just showing the "months" on the x-axis and the values on the y-axis. Then i want a listbox where i can choose between 2012 and 2013.

But when i try to create a graph i only get dots and not the line between the dots, and also i don't know how to do to change between years.

I hope this makes sence, it's quite hard to explain and english is not my native language.

Thanks for all help!!

• Re: Creating a graph where you can choose different years... (noob)
    swuehl

windforce,

I assume you do have a flat table with fields

Year, Month, Value

2011, Jan, 123

2012, Jan, 231

right?

It might be best to create a date field from Year and Month and to convert your Month string field to a dual value field (this makes it much easier to sort your Month in chronological order later on).

So maybe use two additional lines in your load like:

LOAD Year,RAND()*500 as Value,

date(date#(Year&Month, 'YYYYMMM')) as MonthStart,

month(date#(Year&Month, 'YYYYMMM')) as Month

INLINE [

Month, Year

Jan, 2011

Feb, 2011

Mar, 2011

Apr, 2011

May, 2011

Jun, 2011

Jul, 2011

Aug, 2011

Sep, 2011

Oct, 2011

Nov, 2011

Dec, 2011

Jan, 2012

Feb, 2012

Mar, 2012

Apr, 2012

May, 2012

Jun, 2012

Jul, 2012

Aug, 2012

Sep, 2012

Oct, 2012

Nov, 2012

Dec, 2012

];

Starting from this flat table, it should be easy to create a line chart, use Month as dimension, =sum(Value) as expression (since Month can hold multiple values for multiple years, you need to use an aggregation function here), and create a list box to choose a year (you can force always one selected value in list box properties).

Please see attached,

Stefan