Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Publisher and NTFS mode

Hi,

I've a production server with Publisher and a test/server without Publisher.

I want to use NTFS security with Publisher, that is to say managing users with NTFS right on folders.

In Publisher you can still select NTFS security mode, but when you build a task, you're forced to overwrite existing security (If I don't add recipient in tasks settings, logs says : no recipients, skipping distribution).

So do you know how to workaround it ?

Best regards

15 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Bill, I've made it a practice to avoid setting permissions at the object level if at all possible just like I avoid setting permissions by individual user when dealing with Windows and Unix servers in general. Setting permission for only usergroup1 read/write on c:\docs\foo\ will prevent any user not a member of usergroup1 from reading or writing to any file copied into c:\docs\foo\. I don't understand how setting folder permissions allows someone to grab something that they should not have access to.

All Users.jpg

This is a screen shot of the permissions from a document that Publisher distributed to a mount point to User Type "All Users". Again, NTFS inheritance was broken and unique permissions are added although I don't see any group representing All Users, only two individual accounts are given any access at all, the service account for QlikView and a disabled local account.  If I use windows copy and copy the file from the Source tree to the Docs tree, permissions are inherited and I get this:

Inherited Permissions.jpg

The implied permissions granted through inheritance will have to be applied to each individual document distributed by Publisher.

I could setup something like icacls or a Power Shell script to constantly go through and reset permissions to inherited from the parent folder.

I have to say, I've never seen an application that over rode permissions and didn't have an option to just inherit permissions from the target folder.

Not applicable
Author

Not sure what happened to the images above (I just see the red x for each) but here they are in order.

All Users.jpg

Inherited Permissions.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I know this is an old post but the problem still exists. It is very very weird that QVS would overwrite NTFS permissions on a file and would not inherit them. This is first time I see that.

jarno_loubser
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Any success here? There has to be a way of Publisher allowing the file permissions to inherit from the folder it is placed in?

if not is there a way to automatically set the permissions to a group linked to your data. Lets say i read the AD group name from the organization structure and use it in distribution to set file permission - without having to set it for every new business entity.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

no way unfortunately. And what's strange, there was an option in the older version of QlikView to inherit but it is not available in 11

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Boris,

That is part of our security and it is to make sure only the users that you have assigned to the document has rights.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.