Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Partial sum in pivot table

Hi everyone,

I have a small issue (perfectly understandable though) in QV with parital sums in my pivot table (see screenshot below).

The number in the last column (# of tags) is based on an expression. The expression counts unique codes using simple count(fieldName). All good so far.

However, some of the codes have been detected on multiple days - this causes the partialSum to be indeed a count of unique codes but not a sum of the numbers above it. Because it is an expression, I cannot define accumulation / total mode. I also cannot switch to "calculated dimension", as count(fieldName) delivers //calculation error when used as dimension.

How can I solve this? Is there a way to solve this?

Thanks in advance!

meuk.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Ok, in case anyone else runs into this, the solution is is not really dimensionality although you may use it - it will just not do anything.

The actual solution is this:

http://community.qlik.com/message/189352#189352

..that is just one example, there are many other posts of ppl who run into issues with (partial) sums in pivot tables.

I might have done a lousy job explaining what was wrong, for that I apologize.

Thanks,

Jan

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

You can probably do this using the dimensionality() function in an if statement.

Please read this document: Preparing examples for Upload - Reduction and Data Scrambling and upload a sample document.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Hi Gysbert,

Thanks again for your answer ... so it might be dimensionality - versatile function! Ok, I will give it a try tomorrow.

By the way - is there somewhere a document that describes why one expression will not work for "calculated dimensions" but it does work for expressions? And why is it not possible to define totals / accumulation rules for expressions? I think a lot of ppl run into this ... I mean, I have quite a simple use case and this is already the second time I'm having issues with partial sums.

Anyway, thank you,

Jan

Not applicable
Author

Ok, in case anyone else runs into this, the solution is is not really dimensionality although you may use it - it will just not do anything.

The actual solution is this:

http://community.qlik.com/message/189352#189352

..that is just one example, there are many other posts of ppl who run into issues with (partial) sums in pivot tables.

I might have done a lousy job explaining what was wrong, for that I apologize.

Thanks,

Jan