Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Layouts VS Themes

What's the difference between them, since both can be exported as files?

When should I use one or another?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Conclusion:

Layouts is a bunch of XML files that are created together with the workbook when the workbook is saved as XML (just another way of creating the prj folders, if you export a document layout). More useful for source control and not useful fro exporting styles.

Themes exported as QVT export all the colors and styles, but it seems there are some bugs with these files. Each QVT related to a single object type, but then we can build a general QVT for all the document by adding more objects to an existing QVT.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

You could be clearer in the question?

Rebeca

Not applicable
Author

It seems that Layouts.xml and QVT files are both for the same prupose, changing colors for example.

So which one should I use?

Not applicable
Author

Hi Miguel,

Please see attached reference manual - page 581, part 48:

Theme Topology:

"A QlikView theme file consists of individual sections for each type of layout object (document, sheet and

all different types of sheet objects). Each of these sections has three sub-sections, one for object type specific

properties, one for border/caption properties and one for printer setting properties (only for printable object

types). Each section and sub-section can be created or replaced separately using the Theme Maker Wizard

(page 583), without affecting other sections in the theme file."

I hope this answers your question.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Look here

http://community.qlik.com/message/15787#15787

Maybe can help...

Rebeca

Not applicable
Author

My goal is to copy all the colors of a Listbox from a QVW to another.

Also I want to import all the colors and design settings for all the other objects.

So using Export->Document layout-> Then Import-> Document Layout, choosing many of the xml files genereated by trial and error didn't work.

Renaming the generated folder as a *-prj and then opening the destination QVW is to much, because it imports all the objects from the source sheet.

So I tried Document Properties->Layout->Theme Maker->Document. Then on the destination QVW Document Properties->Layout->Apply Theme. But that only imports some of the design settings (for example the header colors for listboxes are not imported).

So I wonder I have to create a separated QVT file using the Theme Maker for each type of object in the source document and then import all those files in the destination document?

Not applicable
Author

Even creating the Theme file for a listbox in the source file and applying it in a listbox in the destination file, didn't copy the header color.

Is this a bug?

Not applicable
Author

Hi Miguel,

I managed to successfully copy all colours from a source list box and apply it to a destination list box.

To create the theme:

In you source file go to the Theme Maker (in Document Properties>Layout tab). Then follow the steps:

step 1: New theme

step 2: choose the correct list box in the drop down menu under Source and then tick all three boxes under Property Groups.

Step 3a 3b 3c : just click next

Step 4: click next

Step 5: no need to tick any of the two boxes. Click on Finish.

In your destination file:

1. Go to the properties of the list box you want to apply the theme to.

2. Go to layout tab

3. Click on Apply Theme

4. Find and open the correct theme (should be a qvt file)

With this process I got all colours including the header colour applied to my destination list box.

Not applicable
Author

So this means I have to repeat this process for every object type in my Workbook, right?

So I have to create a template for each object type (grid, listbox, button, label, etc)?

Isn't there a way to create a template with colors for all objects in the workbook?

Thanks,

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Hi Miguel,

To create one qvt file that contains all object properties, you must first create a new theme (Step 1), then select Document in the drop down menu under Source (Step 2) and follow the normal process.

When you have created this qvt you can go back to it and start modify for each object. This time choose Modify Existing Theme (Step 1) and select the qvt file you created previously. In Step 2, you must now select the specific object from the drop down menu and follow the process. Doing this you will add additional Theme properties to the existing qvt. You must follow the same process (that is to modify the qvt) for each object.

The end result will be a single qvt that contains properties from all of you objects, document settings and sheet settings.