cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sangland2
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Command Line reloads with QVServer

Hi, I am using a command line reload for one model because I only want to run it for 12 hours during the day. Windows task scheduler has this option, but QV scheduling doesn't as far as I can tell. Just at the command lien I am running

"C:\Program Files\QlikView\qv.exe" /r "C:\greentree\qlikview\live\Sales.qvw"

According to the log file the script  finishes and the qvw file should just get updated, but the command is hanging at this stage. Task manager reports "Script execution progress". The task has to be killed.

The model is enabled for the QVserver, but the server is not reloading it. Is there some conflict here ?

Another point is that the model has section access enabled, but this does not prevent the model from starting the reload. or from opening the model from the command line without the /r option.

Perhaps the "Close when finished" option when running the script manually needs to be toggled on ?

7 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I wouldn't suggest mixing command line reloads with QVS. I'd rather reload the documents using the Publisher and limit the schedules to the desired 12 hours during the day. The Publisher offers much better monitoring, restarting, etc...

Colin-Albert

You can configure your load script to only load your application during certain hours without Publisher.

At the start of the load script, you can check if the current time is outside the required reload times, and use an "exit script" command to cleanly exit the script.

You can use this technique to only load data between 7am and 8pm for example.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

But unless you do a partial reload, exiting the script removes your data, does it not?

-Rob

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Take a look at the Document Log to see at what stage the script is.

A better option is to use Server as Oleg suggested. If you don't have Publisher, you can use your Windows AT scheduler with EDX.  This link:Using EDX in QlikView 11 has instructions and a download of a command line program.

-Rob

http://masterssummit.com

http://robwunderlich.com

Colin-Albert

Yes, you are correct Rob.

I should have clarified that exiting the reload is done in a QVD Generator script, to avoid trying to load data when nothing is changing.

Obviously Publisher offers far greater control as you are not limited to a single task to reload your data.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

The QVD generator script makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

-Rob

sangland2
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

The document log appears normal / completed. I have just run the script manually an notice that an "Edit module" window has appears because of a postreload trigger action to run a macro. There must be a problem with teh macro which must be stopping the command line script.

Thanks for the good ideas though.