Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Oracle DB connection issue though Qlikview

I am having difficulty connecting to an Oracle DB though Qlikview. I can create and test an ODBC through the Window Administrator Tools - Data Sources (ODBC) just fine, but when I use that same connection or even try to create a new one through the "edit script" I get the below error.

"Unable to connect

SQLSTate=08004

[Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-12154: TNS:Could not resolve the connect identifier specified"

I have even tried an OLE DB connection and have gotten an error with that configuration as well stating: Test connection failed because not all properties can be set - Window Handle (BAD VALUE).

I am running the Qlikview client and server V9 - 64 bit on a windows 2003 server OS.

Again I can connect with an ODBC outside of Qlikview just fine. Any hints on how to correct this problem would be appreciated. Thx J.

7 Replies
Not applicable
Author

TNS problem!

You can try to add the local domain name to the SID in your ODBC connection.

philip_doyne
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi - Any further help welcomed - I have EXACTLY the same message. Had to go to some trouble to get a 32 Bit ODBC driver for Oracle to use on my 64 bt server but I am using QV10 which offers "Force 32 bit" and when this is ticked my 32 bit ODBC connection appears (it does not if Force 32 bit is not ticked so it is seeing the right ODBC). I get the above message with the username and password which work on the ODBC connection configuration which shows connection successful. How can we identify if this is an Oracle Configuration problem or a Qlikview Problem.

Philip

Not applicable
Author

For connection to any Data base you have to create System DSN first at local machine.

or you can make a connection from Edit Script window.

for the first time you have to give correct User Name and Password. It will create connection string and will be displayed at your screen.

once it done you can select any number of tables.

I think you sholud have done this mistake

Not applicable
Author

thank you for all of your inputs - I had tried all of the suggestions already - I found out that when downloading Oracle the patches are not downloaded with 10g - in order to recieve the patches they have to be purchased - I uploaded all the latest patches and it is working now. Thanks again for your input.

J

philip_doyne
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

All,

I have not had a chance to try this yet but the thread below seems to make a lot of sense.

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=3810917

We only have a 32 bit ODBC for Oracle and it is installed in Program Files (x86)

if the brackets cause the problem then it would explain the trouble with x86 ODBC only on x64 server.

Philip

Not applicable
Author

Can you point me in the direction of the patches you had to obtain. Are they on the Oracle site?

Not applicable
Author

Had the same thing. What I did was the following:

1. download and install Oracle instant client (basic and ODBC package),
Download from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/instant-client/index-097480.html
A very helpful how-to-instal instructions I found at http://blog.whitehorses.nl/2010/04/26/installing-the-oracle-instant-client/

2. tnsnames.ora file in instantclient directory (C:\Oracle\instantclient_10_2)

3. register the connection (user or system DSN). Choose Oracle in instant client as the driver for this connection

Claudia