Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Help with extracting data from field

Hi all,

I have a database field called message that contains the following type of descriptive information below.  I loaded it into QlikView, but I only need the text that says Reason: and the text after that word.  The rest of the data is not relevant.  As you can see the length is variable so you cannot precisely extract it. Any ideas how to do this?  Thanks.

MessageTable

Order 28315349: Vendor assignment to vendor 47541 was deleted by user SUNIS.  Reason: qa

Order 28315349: Vendor assignment to vendor 144775 was deleted by user SUNIS.  Reason: rels

Order 28315349: Vendor assignment to vendor 66728 was deleted by user SUNIS.  Reason: resd

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
maxgro
MVP
MVP

MessageTable:

load * inline [

field

Order 28315349: Vendor assignment to vendor 47541 was deleted by user SUNIS.  Reason: qa

Order 28315349: Vendor assignment to vendor 144775 was deleted by user SUNIS.  Reason: rels

Order 28315349: Vendor assignment to vendor 66728 was deleted by user SUNIS.  Reason: resd

];

expression

Right(field, len(field) -index(field, 'Reason') +1)

1.png

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Does the below give you food for thought ?

= mid (  'User SUNIS.  Reason: qa', index('User SUNIS.  Reason: qa', 'Reason') )

You can text it is a Text Box, and then replace 'User SUNIS.  Reason: qa' with your field name.

maxgro
MVP
MVP

MessageTable:

load * inline [

field

];

expression

Right(field, len(field) -index(field, 'Reason') +1)

1.png

Not applicable
Author

Massimo, thank you again for your help.  Can you briefly explain how this works.

maxgro
MVP
MVP

1.png

in the image you can see the original field, then 3 columns:

c1      index(field, 'Reason')          position of 'Reason' in field

c2      len(field) -.c1 +1                length of the string I want as result

c3      rigth(field, c2)                    substring of field,  consisting of the last c2 characters of field

Not applicable
Author

That was very brilliant. Thanks.

maxgro
MVP
MVP

I think Bill answer is better, mid with 2 parameters

Not applicable
Author

Sorry, I didn't fully understand your answer.