Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Sense debugging options

Hi everyone,

When developing general JavaScript code, a developer has access to a wealth of developer tools, particularly in browsers such as Chrome and Firefox, with great support for viewing the stack trace, watches and stepping through code.

When developing an extension, and testing in Sense, it seems to me that the only option available is an alert call, which isn't exactly ideal.

If something is amiss, an extension will fail to load, or something will not be displayed correctly.

Are there any other options when debugging code?  I've spent a lot of time today 'banging my head on the desk' when things haven't gone as expected.

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Brian_Munz
Employee
Employee

Hi Shane,

The good news is that all of those same tools are actually available.  You can view the Hub (and thus all of the apps) of Sense in a browser window by going to http://localhost:4848/hub

Once in the app, you could use whatever tools you normally would, like the developers console in chrome.

Also,  if you want to stay in the desktop edition, there's a little easter egg where you can hold down ctrl+shift and then right click on the sheet.  You'll see this menu come up:

SS.png

If you click on "Show DevTools" you'll see the Chrome Console (I think) appear in a separate tab.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Shane - I sent your question to one of our resident extension experts. You should expect a response from him soon.

Regards,

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Brian_Munz
Employee
Employee

Hi Shane,

The good news is that all of those same tools are actually available.  You can view the Hub (and thus all of the apps) of Sense in a browser window by going to http://localhost:4848/hub

Once in the app, you could use whatever tools you normally would, like the developers console in chrome.

Also,  if you want to stay in the desktop edition, there's a little easter egg where you can hold down ctrl+shift and then right click on the sheet.  You'll see this menu come up:

SS.png

If you click on "Show DevTools" you'll see the Chrome Console (I think) appear in a separate tab.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Brian/Michael,

thanks very much for getting back to me.  Brian - that's a great help!

Shane.

rbecher
MVP
MVP

Hi Shane,

you can also use Ctrl-Shift-RightClick in Qlik Sense Desktop directly to open the Chrome Dev Tools.

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Brian, many thanks for clarifying.

Another question in the debugging stream: how to reload the extension whose code I have updated?

Not applicable
Author

A CTRL + F5 normally does the trick.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Btw F5 worked as well