Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Using an expression as dimension

I'm trying to make several rolling time period charts of varying length for a dashboard.

I'm using the following expression for my dimension (field is "LDate" which is a date from my linked calendar):

=IF((Num(LDate)) >= Num(Today()-7), LDate)

What I expected to see was a chart with 7 days listed.  However here's what displays:

Why is "today" not showing up as a date but as a - mark and showing my entire data count instead of for today only?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Colin-Albert

You need to put the filter in your expression not the dimension.

Use LDate as your dimension

Created Expression      = count( {<DateCreated={">$(=today()-7)<=$(=today())"}>} YourDataID )

ResolvedExpression      = count( {<DateResolved={">$(=today()-7)<=$(=today())"}>} YourDataID )

Obviously you will need to change DateCreated, DateResolved and YourDataID to match your field names

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Colin-Albert

You need to put the filter in your expression not the dimension.

Use LDate as your dimension

Created Expression      = count( {<DateCreated={">$(=today()-7)<=$(=today())"}>} YourDataID )

ResolvedExpression      = count( {<DateResolved={">$(=today()-7)<=$(=today())"}>} YourDataID )

Obviously you will need to change DateCreated, DateResolved and YourDataID to match your field names

Colin-Albert

You should set your dimension to "Supress when value is null"

Your expression will set LDate as null for every date apart from the past 7 days. This is the total you are seeing in the ( - ) column.

Not applicable
Author

It worked perfectly.  I'm assuming if I wanted prior X months I'd rewrite as below:

Created Expression  = count( {<Month(DateCreated)={">$(=Month(today())-X)<=Month($(=today()))"}>} YourDataID )

?

Colin-Albert

Set  Analysis works on the field names not and expression, so for prior X months you can use Addmonths()

Created Expression  = count( {<DateCreated={">$(=Addmonths(today(), -X) )<=($(=today()) "}>} YourDataID )

You can also use monthstart() or monthend() to get the start or end of the month

Not applicable
Author

Ok, one final stupid question.  I'm trying to get my dynamic dimension to do X number of months.

I've tried:

=If (Num(Month(LDate)) >= Num(Month(Today())) - 3, MonthYear)

And several variations but its always showing my entire data set.  What am I doing wrong?