Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Hi, I've just joined Qlik, I am trying to create a bubble chart but can't get the bubble to change size dependent on the third expression. what am I doing wrong?! I had originally a large data set but tried a simple set of 10 items and same result.

Hi, I've just joined Qlik, I am trying to create a bubble chart but can't get the bubble to change size dependent on the third expression. What am I doing wrong?!  I had originally a large data set but in attempt to see what i was doing wrong I tried using a simple spreadsheet with only a set of 10 items (see attached) and got the same result.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Change your third expression from sum[Z value] to sum([Z value])

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

19 Replies
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

Gysbert_Wassenaar

I assume you meant to say you're creating a scatter chart. A bubble chart requires two dimensions. I also experienced the problem you described. The third expression sum([Z Value]) I added did not result in different bubble sizes. When I created a new document the chart worked correctly. I haven't been able to reproduce the problem again.

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

It could be that the wrong style was chosen. You need to have one of the bottom right three.

HIC

Bubble style.png

Gysbert_Wassenaar

That wasn't the problem. The lower right style is the default. I tried the others as well. But as I said, I can't seem to reproduce it anymore.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Gysbert / Henric

Firstly, thanks for your help!  I have selected the scatter plot as suggested by Henric.  I am looking to create a bubble chart (scatter chart with 3 dimensions, X, Y and Z).  Please see the chart I currently get and what has been set up in properties.  I was expecting the bubble sizes to be different as the values for that dimension are different.

Not applicable
Author

Sorry, tried to paste the screenshots in but doesn't seem to have worked.  I have inserted as an image below.Bubble Size Example.png

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

It's not possible to say just from the picture. Everything in the picture looks OK. So I would check the following:

• That the style is the right one (see my previous comment)
  • That the numbers really are different for the different bubbles. Maybe they are the same? Convert to a pivot table to see the numbers.

HIC

Not applicable
Author

Hi Henric

The style is the one you originally suggested.

Here are the numbers, I deliberately created a simple data set (only 3 columns of 10 rows! Original sheet was many columns and 1000s of rows).  As you can see Z dimension numbers are all different, the largest being 15 times bigger than smallest:

Dimension Y Value X Value Z value
A 50 80 20
B 35 40 300
C 21 35 25
D 45 90 150
E 90 10 200
F 120 75 10
G 140 120 90
H 5 15 75
I 15 26 10
J 25 10

Any ideas?

Alan

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Try going to Presentation, uncheck "Autosize Symbols". Then increase the "max bubble size".

-Rob