13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2014 1:43 AM by kamakshi suram RSS

Allocated Memory Exceeded - QV11

Kent Shook

I see a ton of questions about this error for old versions of QlikView (mainly 8.5) but I'm running QlikView 11, and running into it in a situation that should not be causing problems. It's happening on two different servers. Here's the setup:

 

* Running QlikView 11 IR on both servers

 

* One server is brand new, has a ridiculous number of CPU cores and tons of RAM (40 and 128GB, IIRC) and is not running anything but QlikView. The other is our in-house test server which I believe is somewhat less capable (I don't know the exact specs).

 

* Working Set is set to 70% low, 90% high

 

* The object where I've found this problem is a simple table box within a container.

     - The container has only 5 objects in it

     - The table box is showing 8 fields, and there are only 2,432 lines

     - The table that's in the "middle" of the fields being shown contains 2 of the fields. 4 fields are one table away, 2 fields are 2 tables away.

 

* The error occurs in the Ajax client

 

* The "Allocated Memory Exceeded" error is seen after clicking in the table box to make a selection.

 

Any suggestions?

 

Thanks,

 

Kent

  • Allocated Memory Exceeded - QV11
    Karl Pover

    Kent,

     

    I've seen some buggy things in QV 11 concerning containers.  I've repeatedly had fatal errors that force me to close QV because of them.  I've been given the allocated memory exceeded when using alternate states and dimension limits so I don't know what's going on, but there are still numerous errors in QV11.  Does the table box show alright without it being in a container?

     

    I would report it as a bug to make sure it gets fixed in a future release.

     

    Karl

    • Allocated Memory Exceeded - QV11
      Kent Shook

      I've been banging on this some today, and here's what I've found:

       

      1) It will sometimes manifest itself the first time a selection is made after switching to the sheet containing the container with the table boxes in it. After the first occurrence, it doesn't throw an error again until several more selections have been made - For example, I'll make a random selection, clear it, make another, etc. until 7-11 selections have been made and cleared before I'll see it again.

       

      2) A straight table containing the same data as the table box does not appear to have this issue - 40-50 selections made and cleared and I never saw it.

       

      3) When I pulled the table box out of the container, around 35 selections made and cleared and I never saw it - But the table box still in the container started acting up.

       

      So, it appears that the table box inside a container is the common denominator.

  • Re: Allocated Memory Exceeded - QV11
    Kent Shook

    It looks like QlikTech has fixed some additional problems like this in QV11 SR2. Specifically, bug ID 46255: "Qlikview Desktop - Allocated memory exceeded with Count (Distinct) in the expression." That also hints at a workaround for those of you not planning on upgrading to SR2. Were those of you who were still having problems in SR1 using a count(distinct) in the expression?

     

    Also, bug ID 46892: "Allocated memory exceeded" when creating a Block Chart with 3 dimensions.

     

    I'm curious to see if anyone will have Allocated Memory Exceeded errors in QV11 SR2...

    • Re: Allocated Memory Exceeded - QV11
      Martin Mahler

      I have the same error popping up. In my case I am using a Pivot Table with 34 dimensions, all of them displayed only upon a certain condition.

       

      It works without any problems when I'm developing it, however it's differently when the document is opened on the WebServer.

       

      A remarkable observation is that the error is non-reproducable. Sometimes it stops calculating, other times it works fine with the same selections made.

  • Re: Allocated Memory Exceeded - QV11
    kamakshi suram

    I got this error when I used 3rd dimension as Calculated Dimension.  Then I removed Calculated and made it to Normal dimension which worked fine.