Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

suming variables in expressions

Hi guys,

I saw in a qlikview example "whats new in qlikview 11" that you could create "slect one metric" for sales, quantity, margin...etc..

The way they did it:

MetricsOptions:

LOAD * INLINE [_metricsNo, _metrics

1, Sales,

2, Qty,

3, Margin

4, Margin%

];

MetricPickOne:

LOAD DISTINCT

_metrics as _metricPickOne

RESIDENT MetricsOptions;

My question is, if I wanted to sum up sales in a expression but don´t want to hardcode sum(sales) but instead wanted to use the Metrics Options, how do I do that? I tried sum(_metricPickOne) but that didn´t work.

I know I can use condition and say _metricPickOne = 'sales'     than sum(sales) but what if I have more than 10 metrics? Is there another way?

Regards,

alphez

5 Replies
Not applicable
Author

If you Select one value from either your _metricsNo or _metrics fields then this expression would work:

sum($(=Only(_metrics)))

or sum($(=_metrics))

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

The safest way to code this would be to use minstring() instead of only(). This way, no selection will still work and it will also protect against losing the one and only one selection (which I would recommend) on _metrics.
sum($(=minstring(_metrics)))

Not applicable
Author

If I create a text box in the example and try your solution, i get the null sign '-'.

Not applicable
Author

sum($(=minstring(_metrics))) will work but the problem is you well always get the same number no matter whether you choose sales, Qty, Margin or Margin%. Thats because minstring(_metrics) always returns Margin

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

MinString() returns minumum value in the list,

If you select a value then it returns selected value. 

If you select multiple values then it minimum value in the selected values.

If you do not select any values then it returns minimum values of the overall list.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Jagan.