Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Change graph lines to patterns instead of colors

I have some line graphs where I would like to display the plotted lines with patterns/textures instead of using a color coded system (so viewers who are color blind can distinguish between the different plotted lines and understand the legend). I know how to change the colors of the lines, but is there a way to change the lines to dashes, dots, or other continuous symbols so they do not have to be distinguished by color?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

HI katlee150

If i am not wrong i am expecting that you want to show line in ------------- ............. _________ form.

It is very easy

• Go to Expression Click on +
  • It Will show you Multiple option in that chose Line Style

• Click on Line Style in order to enter an attribute expression for calculating the line style for the line or line segment associated with the data point.

• This type of attribute expression only has effect on line, combo and radar charts.
  • The relative width of the line can be controlled by including a tag <Wn>.
  • The number n must be a real number between 0.5 and 8. Example: <W2.5>.

• The style of the line can be controlled by including a tag <Sn> where n is an integer between 1 and 4 indicating the style to be used (1=continuous, 2= dashed, 3=dotted, 4=dashed/dotted). Example: <S3>.

• The <Wn> and <Sn> tags can be freely combined, but only the first occurrence of each counts.
  • The tags must be enclosed by single quotations.

Hope you got your answer Please revert if you haven't got it.

Thank You

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Not applicable
Author

HI katlee150

If i am not wrong i am expecting that you want to show line in ------------- ............. _________ form.

It is very easy

• Go to Expression Click on +
  • It Will show you Multiple option in that chose Line Style

• Click on Line Style in order to enter an attribute expression for calculating the line style for the line or line segment associated with the data point.

• This type of attribute expression only has effect on line, combo and radar charts.
  • The relative width of the line can be controlled by including a tag <Wn>.
  • The number n must be a real number between 0.5 and 8. Example: <W2.5>.

• The style of the line can be controlled by including a tag <Sn> where n is an integer between 1 and 4 indicating the style to be used (1=continuous, 2= dashed, 3=dotted, 4=dashed/dotted). Example: <S3>.

• The <Wn> and <Sn> tags can be freely combined, but only the first occurrence of each counts.
  • The tags must be enclosed by single quotations.

Hope you got your answer Please revert if you haven't got it.

Thank You

Not applicable
Author

In the expression tab you can also choose symbols instead of line or both.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Roshan,

Thank you! That is exactly what I wanted. However, is there a way to also update the legend so it will reflect what the different lines represent?

Not applicable
Author

HI katlee150

• To show changes no need to update legend  Create Lable it's is also very easy

• just go to presentation tab of chart

• wright in text in chart whatever lable you want to show like ------ = CHNAGES

• after creating this it will create one text object in you chart and all you have to do is just place it on right place in your chart.

Hope you got whatever you was looking for  

Please mark post as answered so other can use this info.

Not applicable
Author

HI Katlee

Please mark this post as answered so other can use it or Else please delete this post cause i personally refer while serching wethere question is answred or not.

If you do this it ll be greate help

Thank you