Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

source data

Hi,

Some questions as I am from traditional BI tool experience....I am sorry for too many questions.

Does qlickview expects source data to be dimensionally modelled?

Generally data is sourced from transactinal systems and loaded into warehouse (3NF) and/or then modelled dimensionally for reporting.

Does qlickview expects soure database/source data to be dimensionally modelled? how it identidies facts and dimensions?

Is app/document satisfies business questions perticular to one subject area e.g. sales or call details ?

Does every document or app will have its own data model? or you will have a large data model in qlickview and you can create multiple apps/document based on user analysis?

if i have dimensionally modelled bus architecture in place , do i need to create a multiple documents that caters to diff business functions?

can qlickview create a dashboard ( again a super document) that spans across the subject areas to create enterprise view of business?

How business discovery helps CRM and how CRM app can talk to qlickview to get insights for day to day operation?

I wish to know more about qlickview? can somebody please help?

Regards

Santosh

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

1.      As a qlickview designer /developer/consultant, do I need to know and code in java or java script or dot net or any other language (outside of qlickview)?

No, you can become an accomplished developer without ever needing to know these (you need to know the QlikView scripting language though). However if you want to extend the use of QlikView then the following skills are useful:

1. Extension Objects: JavaScript

2. Web mash-ups and integration: .NET

3. Custom functionality: VB Script

2.      How qlickview reads ‘bid data’? can it read unstructured data ? can it read social media data?

Do you mean Big Data? QlikView cannot read unstructured data directly but there any many indirect + 3rd party options:

Cloudera Connector for QlikView (to connect to Hadoop)

ODBC to Impala (to query Hadoop)

Teradata Connector for QlikView

QVSource (qvsource.com) has many connectors e.g. Hadoop and MongoDb

DataRoket

etc ... Look on market.qlik.com

Connections to Twitter and Facebook are possible via QVSource.com

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Does qlickview expects source data to be dimensionally modelled? No. QlikView works best with raw data and loads individual tables (from different data sources if required) that are then associated within QlikView. There is normally no need to pre-process or pre-aggregate the data. QlikView can connect directly to databases and files, or a data warehouse if you have one. QlikView has its own ETL capabilities if a data warehouse is not in place.

how it identidies facts and dimensions? These do not have to be defined explicitly.

Is app/document satisfies business questions perticular to one subject area e.g. sales or call details ? It can address multiple business areas in a single QVW document as long as there is a single associated data model. Or you can develop specific apps for each subject area. The choice is yours.

Does every document or app will have its own data model? Yes. A data model can contain multiple tables and from multiple data sources, but the tables need to be associated (joined).

or you will have a large data model in qlickview and you can create multiple apps/document based on user analysis? It is possible to create a single large app as long as it has a single data model. If required you can then use the QlikView Publisher to automatically split the app into multiple smaller apps with different user permissions, e.g. one for each sales rep, one for each country etc. QlikView calls this "loop and reduce"

if i have dimensionally modelled bus architecture in place , do i need to create a multiple documents that caters to diff business functions? Not necessarily. QlikView is very flexible in that respect.

can qlickview create a dashboard ( again a super document) that spans across the subject areas to create enterprise view of business? Yes

How business discovery helps CRM and how CRM app can talk to qlickview to get insights for day to day operation?

Most CRM systems, such as SalesForce, have built-in reporting, but it is often not sufficient if a deep insight into the business is required. Business Discovery allows users to ask their own ad hoc questions and easily get the answers they need. QlikView in turn can be integrated into the CRM system. Note that QlikView is a read-only business discovery tool, i.e. out of the box it cannot write back to other systems.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Thanks for your time.

Few more questions -

1. As a qlickview designer /developer/consultant, do I need to know and code in java or java script or dot net or any other language (outside of qlickview)?

2. How qlickview reads ‘bid data’? can it read unstructured data ? can it read social media data?

Thanks

Santosh

Not applicable
Author

1.      As a qlickview designer /developer/consultant, do I need to know and code in java or java script or dot net or any other language (outside of qlickview)?

No, you can become an accomplished developer without ever needing to know these (you need to know the QlikView scripting language though). However if you want to extend the use of QlikView then the following skills are useful:

1. Extension Objects: JavaScript

2. Web mash-ups and integration: .NET

3. Custom functionality: VB Script

2.      How qlickview reads ‘bid data’? can it read unstructured data ? can it read social media data?

Do you mean Big Data? QlikView cannot read unstructured data directly but there any many indirect + 3rd party options:

Cloudera Connector for QlikView (to connect to Hadoop)

ODBC to Impala (to query Hadoop)

Teradata Connector for QlikView

QVSource (qvsource.com) has many connectors e.g. Hadoop and MongoDb

DataRoket

etc ... Look on market.qlik.com

Connections to Twitter and Facebook are possible via QVSource.com

Not applicable
Author

Thanks a ton…..

Not applicable
Author

please mark as answered if you feel I have answered you question

Not applicable
Author

Yes sir .

You have answered my all the questions...

I will do the needful

Thanks

Not applicable
Author

Another great way to get unstructured information into a dimensional model / numerical model is Squirro for QlikView

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for reminding me Cesare Allavena Yes I saw a short demo of Squirro for QlikView the other day and it's very good indeed.