Qlik DataMarket now offers 2 new topical data packages. The CMS Cost Reports and the Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems.
These latest additions to the Qlik DataMarket product offering allow customers to analyze and understand how payments for the same procedure can vary across specialties and regions. They also provide insights into how consumers view their experiences while undergoing various procedures.The two new products are based off the wealth of data that the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) makes available about healthcare providers in the United States.
CMS Cost Reports
Healthcare providers participating in the Medicare program are obligated to report on various parts of their operation; facility characteristics, utilization, costs and charges by cost center and so on. Qlik DataMarket now wraps these Hospital Cost Reports up in data models, and alongside these models, our customers get a sample application that highlights some of the data available. This allows the users to better understand the various potential uses of the data.
Among the various questions that can be teased out of the CMS Cost Reports data are:
- What are the total submitted charges for any given procedure in the US, and what is the average submitted charge per state or city?
- If the same kind of procedure is performed by different specialties, then how does the average payment amount from Medicare differ by specialty?
- How much does a standardized visit to a doctor cost, based on location? How big a part of that does the Medicare/Medicaid program cover?
- How much does the healthcare provider need to write off from his charges to remain in the Medicare program? What is the reduction in the number of procedures needed to remain at the same level of revenue?
- What is the number of beneficiaries per procedure or volume of procedures by specialty and location?
This is just a sample of the questions and insights delivered by CMS Cost Reports package.
Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems
The Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS) is a series of patient surveys where consumers of healthcare services rate the quality of service provided. The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality governs CAHPS.
Among the topics covered in CAHPS are Hospitalization are: star ratings, communication ratings, environment, effectiveness of care, willingness to recommend, and other quality metrics that impact the experience from admission to discharge.
The data applies to:
- Nearly 7,000 Dialysis facilities with about 119,000 dialysis stations.
- Over 10,000 Home Healthcare Agencies
- 4,600 Hospitals
All in all, the data comes packaged up in 13 data files and 3 sample applications that provide insights into what questions and answers can be teased out of the data.
Typically this data is hard to find and difficult to integrate into existing data models. However, we curate the data for you and make sure that all diseases and treatments, geo-dimensions and healthcare providers have been identified and that the appropriate unique identifiers have been associated with each. For example, each type of procedure is coded with the HCSPC code (Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System).
To get you started quickly, reach out to your account manager for a demonstration of the applications. You will be able to rapidly integrate your own data with these applications for unique insights.