2017 was a very busy year for Qlik NPrinting from the standpoint of improving stability and performance. While this continues to be a focus, 2018 is on track to be the year of feature enhancements. With the June 2018 release and September 2018 Internal Preview, significant advancements in features have been introduced to make Qlik NPrinting more robust than ever.
Here is a summary of some of the biggest enhancements in Qlik NPrinting since January…
Support for more forms of authentication and authorization – This not only allows Qlik NPrinting customers standardization between systems, but also improves user experience and increased security.
- SAML authentication: Qlik NPrinting supports Single Sign-On (SSO) by using SAML. SAML (Security Assertion Markup Language) is an open standard for exchanging authentication and authorization data between parties - i.e. an identify provider (IdP) and service provider (SP). Based on XML the most important use case is with Web Browser Single Sign-On. Both Qlik NPrinting Web Console and NewsStand can be configured to manage SAML authentication.
- JSON Web Token (JWT): Supports authentication on both Qlik Sense and QlikView with DMS. JWT is an open standard for secure transmission of information between two parties used for authentication and authorization. JWT enables SSO in Qlik NPrinting, minimizing the number of times a user must log on.
- QlikView server DMS authorization: Qlik NPrinting connections to QlikView Server now support DMS authentication. Section access can be integrated easily with Qlik NPrinting without the need of other actions. Qlik NPrinting On-Demand plugin works for Access Point users authenticated with DMS credentials.
- Kerberos authentication: Qlik NPrinting now supports the use of Kerberos and NTLM. Just be sure the browsers used to access Qlik NPrinting are also configured to support Kerberos!
Qlik Sense pivot table support – Qlik NPrinting supports pivot tables as objects from Qlik Sense connections, the same as QlikView connections. This allows for more flexibility to enhance reports with insight from pivot tables, without manually manipulation.
Monthly and yearly schedules – Time-based triggers now allow the creation of monthly and yearly schedules, which provides users with more flexibility to get the right information at the right time. This feature removes a gap from Qlik NPrinting 16.
Enhanced error handling – Qlik NPrinting filtering system has been improved and it is now able to manage many errors that appeared with messages like “Wrong content node response” or “Apply empty response”. Static empty content or invalid selections are managed without errors. The enhanced error handling is crucial for administrators minimizing downtime.
Upgrades to PostgresSQL, RabbitMQ and Erlang – important updates that make Qlik NPrinting more secure and reliable.
- Qlik NPrinting Repository is now based on PostgreSQL 10.1
- The PostgreSQL administration tool was upgraded from 3 to 4.
- Qlik NPrinting Messaging service (RabbitMQ and Erlang) have been updated. RabbitMQ [server] from version 3.5.7 to v3.7.4. RabbitMQ [client] from version 3.6 to v5.0.1. Erlang OPT from version 18.1 to v20.3.
Import users and roles from LDAP – As a first step towards tighter integration with Qlik Sense user management, it is now possible to import users, with attributes, and roles from a generic LDAP source into Qlik NPrinting by configuring imports directly from the Qlik NPrinting Web Console.
Password protected reports – Qlik NPrinting can generate reports protected with reading and/or writing passwords. Passwords can be set at report, publish task, or user level, which provide our customers with increased confidence that reports are safe.
Along with numerous security enhancements, improved QlikView cache generation, these are just some of the key advancements so far this year. And we’re still delighted for what the remainder of 2018 has in store for Qlik NPrinting!