Embed a Dynamic Qlik Sense Visualization in MS Excel

I will use Qlik Sense Desktop version for this demo, but I am sure you can also use Enterprise version if you have the authorization to the Dev Hub.

The first step, open an excel file where you want your qlik visualization to be, make sure saved it as xlsm format (Macro Enabled file)

Step2, ALT + F11 to open Developer window in excel, and create a user form. Pick the Web Browser part from Toolbox and reshape the size to fit your user form

Capture.JPG

Step3, Go to  Dev Hub in QLik Sense

Capture.JPG

then go to Single Configurator, pick the App and the Sheet, then the URL will be generated in the box, Copy the URL and paste to a cell in the excel file.

Capture.JPG

Step4, Build some buttons in excel like below, the up and down buttons are controlling 12 period ,and 5 weeks(most periods have 4 weeks, some have 5 weeks)

Capture.JPG

Step5, Change the Cell where stores your URL info into a formula like below. the cell B2 and G2 refer to the period number and week number.

="http://localhost:4848/single?appid=C%3A%5CUsers%5Cilin%5CDocuments%5CQlik%5CSense%5CApps%5CCorperate%20KPI.qvf&sheet=hpjwm&opt=nointeraction&select=Period,"&Sheet1!B2&"&select=PdWeek,"&Sheet1!G2

Step6, return to VBA developer window, and paste the code below to Sheet1

Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()

Unload UserForm1

UserForm1.Show False

End Sub

and then go to the Userform code section, and paste the code below.

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()

Me.StartUpPosition = 0

Me.Top = Application.Top + 25

Me.Left = Application.Left + Application.Width - Me.Width - 25

Me.WebBrowser1.Navigate (Sheet2.Range("A1"))

End Sub

Step7, Test your result. Basically, when you spin the button changing period and week number, the visualizations changes accordingly.

below is the screen I have on my side, it is fully interactive with Qlik. you see the filters update with my selections in excel.

Capture.JPG

I tested this method with enterprise version, and it worked too, but you need to key in user name and password to be able show the result, you are only required to key in credential once.

Above is the thought on embedding analytics to other tools, if you have different thoughts and comments, please share with me as well.

Many thanks

Isaac