QlikCommunity has a variety of areas for easy collaboration and viewing content. Our Resource Library is the area for posting, viewing and rating documents. Documents are regularly reviewed and uploaded by QlikTech employees and QlikCommunity members and may fit into a variety of categories.
It’s important to remember that documents serve a different purpose from discussions. Discussions are focused around asking and answering questions whereas documents are generally more formalized and convey a more complicated set of information which is intended to be seen as complete.
Common resources uploaded by community members include:
- Best Practices (elaborate code, fixes, tips and guidelines)
- QlikView applications
- Published manual complete or a section
To visit our Resource Library where you can view, rate and submit resources- please click on the Resources link from the QlikCommunity Home page.
After landing on the Resource Library Index page you can access different resources via the category list on the left hand side of the page or via the recent resources list in the center of the page. We recommend you familiarize yourself with existing resources prior to submitting a new one.
Some Best Practices
- Find the documents you like and bookmark, rate and comment on them. Providing feedback to other resource authors is very valuable to them and other community members.
- Prior to submitting any new resources make sure there isn’t one which is the same or very similar to the one you want to share.
- Make sure you are proving some type of value to other community members with your document.
- DON’T ask questions with a resource document! If you have a question post it as a thread in the discussion forums- remember you can attach documents and images to discussion threads to add additional context.
- Don’t submit content that belongs to a 3rd party. You may have read or seen material presented by another QlikCommunity member and wish to share. Rather than re-posting that material directly, create an entry that provides a link to the other member’s source material. Enhance your post with your own thoughts on this material and what it meant to you – how it solved a problem you had, how you would apply the material etc. If possible combine with other similar content, or your own original content. Ensure that other members are recognized in your post as the authors of the post. All of this ensures that members receive the recognition they are due, and that you are seen as a value-add contributor to the community.
- Use meaningful tags when submitting your resource document. The QlikCommunity search will search on tags as well as titles and content. Using tags ensures that your content has the best possible opportunity to be found by others.
- Think of your intended audience when selecting categories to place your resource under. While your document on $ expansion maybe a topic many outside QlikView don’t know anything about, submitting to ‘New To QlikView’ may not align with what someone coming to QlikCommunity for first time help is looking to learn about.
Submitting a New Resource Document
If you have determined that your document would be a valuable resource in the community here is how to submit it for review and posting.
- Click on “Submit a Resource”
2. Create a new Document page
You will need to fill out each of the fields before submitting your document or it will not be approved. Remember to be brief but give enough detail to help other members find your and scan the summary so that they know its the resource they are looking for. Not all of the areas are labeled so we have included a diagram image here followed by a detailed description of each area.
Give your document a Title that is meaningful and clearly indicates what the resource is about.
The resource summary should clearly describe the resource. If the resource is only relevant to specific version(s) of QlikView, this should be indicated in description. The description should not be used to promote a third-party tool or service available outside QlikCommunity.
Attach the resource you would like to post. Most document types are accepted such as Word, PDF, PPT, Excel, HTML, text doc, QlikView Apps (.qvw) and more.
Add appropriate tags to resource but do NOT duplicate Tags: Tags should be meaningful and directly relevant to the resource. As much as possible, avoid duplicate tags, and use existing tags rather than creating new similar tags.
If resource is relevant to only specific version of QlikView, use tags to indicate; for example:
- QlikView_10 QV_10
- QlikView_11 QV_11
Select the category/categories, for example your resource can be a “Video Tutorial” for “App Development” and therefore would sit in those two categories.
The lists of categories for the Resource Library include both Type and Topic categories. The Topic categories correspond to the Discussion Forum topics, enabling automatic display of related resources in the forum areas.
Each resource can belong to one or more Topic categories. It should only belong to categories for which the resource is clearly relevant.
Each resource can belong to only one Type category.
- QlikView App
- Product Documentation
- Technical Brief
- Developer Toolkit
- Video Tutorial
* The Type category “Article” should be used if there is no attachment which means that document itself is the resource.
3. Submit your Document
Once you have completed the document and uploaded attachments if any, click “Publish”
A QlikCommunity team member will review your resource submission within 2 business days and will approve or contact you with details if a revision is required.
Thank you for taking the time to add to our resource library, we feel that member contributions are very valuable!