The first thing you need to do before creating report templates is to create a source connection to a QlikView document. A connection must be setup with the initial creation of an NSQ file. However, you can also add new connections or modify existing connections for each of your NPrinting NSQ files at a later time. You can add QlikView documents as NPrinting source connections that are either stored:
1. On the local computer
2. On a server to which you have network folder permission access
- The NPrinting Training Environment, which contains working examples for this tutorial, by downloading NPrinting Training Material and extracting the zipped contents into C:\NPrintingTraining\ so that the relative path structure remains valid
- QlikView NPrinting Designer installed and activated. The setup is available in the qlik.com website.
NOTE: You can only create one connection per QlikView document.
Create New NPrinting Project File
- Click on the File tab in the upper left-hand corner of the window
- Click on New. The Connection window will appear
Create New Connection
If you are connecting to a QlikView document on your local computer, follow these steps:
- Enter SalesDemo and an optional Description
- Leave the check box to the right of Server name unselected
- Click on the browse button to the right of the QlikView document text box and browse to C:\NPrintingTraining\QlikViewDocuments\. Click on the QlikView document you want to use, SalesDemo.qvw in this case, and click on OK to select it
- You can make this your default connection by flagging the Default connection box. If you do this, NPrinting will enter this connection in your filters, reports and tasks by default. The default connection will be presented first when adding additional entities that require a connection.
- Put a check mark in this box if you want to clear all selections before running reports or tasks when using this connection. If you do not select this check box, all existing selections set in the QlikView document will be applied to all reports at run time
Save and Allow Creation of Object List
- Click on the Save and Close icon to save the new connection
- Click on the Yes button. This will accelerate the display of an object list the first time you add an object to a template. Each time you add a new connection to a report template, the object list will need to be recompiled, which delays the display of the list. You can wait now or later, as you prefer
NOTE: When you save a new connection, the path to the .qvw is checked. If the path is invalid, you will get a error message. This will allow you to manually check the path before attempting to add/save the new connection again.
Add or Modify Connection in Existing NPrinting Project File
Open an existing NSQ file either by clicking on the Open icon, browsing to and selecting the NSQ file or selecting it from the Recent Files list.
Select and Open Connection in Connection Editor
- Select Sources in the lower left pane
- Connections is usually pre-selected
- Double-click on the Connection you want to modify or delete
- Click on the Connection icon in the New group to open the Connection editor and create a new connection
Review Current Basic Settings for Connection to QlikView Document on QlikView Server
You need a licensed QlikView Server to open a .qvw from it.
- If you want to completely delete a saved connection, click on the Delete icon in the Actions group. Attention: this operation is irreversible. After deleting you’ll have to re-create the Connection from scratch
- Putting a check mark here opens the Server name text box to the right so that you can enter the server name
- Clicking on this browser button allows the selection of a QlikView document on the server
Edit Settings for Connection to QlikView Document on QlikView Server
- Modify Name and optionally Description if necessary
- Modify the Server name if necessary
- Click on the browse button to the right of the QlikView document text box to open a window and browse to a folder containing QlikView documents on that server if you desire to change the QlikView document to connect to. Click on the QlikView document you want to use and click on OK to select it.
- Enter a User name and Password if they are required to access the QlikView document.
- You can make this your default connection by flagging the Default connection box. If you do this, NPrinting will populate all your filters, reports and tasks with this connection where appropriate.
- If you want to clear all selections before running reports when using this connection, then put a checkmark in this check box. If you do not select this check box, all selections set in the QVW will be applied to all reports at run time.
- Click on the floppy disk icon to save the modifications.
Click on the Open icon in the Source group to establish the connection to the QlikView document.
Force the Object List Refresh
When saving a new connection or substituting the .qvw in the same connection, NPrinting asks permission to create or refresh the object list. If you reply yes, NPrinting will save the list to a file in the folder %ProgramData%\NPrinting\QlikView\Cache.
- Click on Refresh Object List to force a refresh of the object list.
- Click OK
NOTE: This should be done when objects are changed or updated in the source QVW. Creating or refreshing QlikView cached objects causes a delayed response only upon the cache refresh. Accessing QV objects from the object list will be dramatically sped up after Creating or refreshing the Object Cache.