Excel Pivot tables can be created using levels (see: How to Create an Excel PivotTable Report), but the following method is simpler and quicker and we recommend it. Excel 2007 or a later version is necessary for this procedure. Here's how.
Create New Excel Report
- Select Reports in the lower left pane
- Select Excel Reports in the upper left pane
- Click on Excel Report in the New group of the tool bar
Save New Template as .xlsx
The template must be saved in .xlsx or .xlsm format to be able store the information necessary for a pivot table.
Click on the Save As icon
Conclude Saving Process
- Note that the file extension has been changed to .xlsx
- Click on the Save button
Add Object as Table and Change "Keep Source Formats" Property
- Add CH267 to the template as a Table (See: the "Add QlikView Objects as Tables: Selection" step in How to Create Excel Reports). Only QlikView Straight Tables can be used to create your template. If you want to use a QlikView PivotTable you must either convert it to a straight table or, to preserve the original, clone it and convert the clone. Then add the converted table to your template.
- Unflag the Keep Source Formats box in the Properties dialog window for CH267 (See: Can I apply Excel formatting to my Excel reports?)
Construct Table from Columns
- Construct the basic table by dragging columns separately into the template and dropping them onto empty cells. You can use only some of columns, if you wish.
- Open the Toolbar by clicking on the Toolbar icon in the View group of the NPrinting toolbar
- Adjust and format column headings as needed
- Highlight the column tag and heading cells to select them
- Select the Insert tab on the Excel toolbar
- Click on Table in the Tables group of the Excel toolbar
Convert to Pivot Table
- Re-highlight the column tag and heading cells to select them if necessary
- Select the Design tab under Table Tools on the Excel toolbar
- Click on Summarize with PivotTable in the Tools group of the Excel toolbar
- Drag the Year Qtr field into the Column Labels box
- Drag the Total Sales field into the Values box
- Drag the Category Name and Country fields into the Row Labels box
Open Value Field Settings Dialog Window
- Click on the Count of Total Sales button to open the menu
- Select Value Field Settings...
Adjust Value Field Settings
- Select Sum on the Summarize Values By tab in the Value Field Settings dialog window
- Click on the OK button
Set Data to Be Refreshed
- Select the Options tab under PivotTable Tools
- Click on the Options icon in the PivotTable group
- Select the Data tab
- Check the Refresh data when opening the file checkbox
- Set Number of items to retain per field: to None
- Click on the OK button at the bottom of the PivotTable Options dialog window