Recently, I've been writing some routines that extract data from multiple QV document and store them in excel files, which, in turn are consumed by another QV application to prepare KPIs and trends.
After successful testing and demonstration it was time to move to QV server and schedule it and this is where a plethora of problems raised. The scripts which ran just fine on Windows 2003 server (old test server), when scheduled on Windows 2008 R2 (new server) ran forever.
One of the issue was that the service account did not have necessary permissions to create "QlikTech.QlikView" object. A little surprising, considering the account had system admin rights. The other problem was the service could not export data in excel. It took about 6-7 hours of investigating the issue and finding a solution by searching the web, and Qlik community, ofcourse.
Steps to configure
- Add account running QV services to QlikView application component in Component Services configuration - This is to enable account to create "QlikTech.QlikView" object when not logged in
- To do this go to Start -> Run -> type dcomcnfg and Enter
- In Component Services expand Component Services -> Computers -> My Computer -> DCOM Config -> Search for QlikView 7.0 Application
- Right click QlikView 7.0 Application -> go to Identity -> select This user and enter the service account credentials running Qlikview server -> click OK
- To enable object data to be copied in Excel application, we need to create two blank folders in systemprofile
- Go to C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile and create an empty folder named "Desktop" - this needs to be created regardless of 32 or 64 bit OS version.
- Go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile and create and empty folder named "Desktop" - this needs to be created if the OS is 64 bit version.
The attached document has screenshots of settings that I would typically have when automating using VBScripts.