Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Matching substring in column with another column

Here I have two 3 columns states1, states2 and MYstate -

Whatever states under state1 and state2,

MY State should have the same state then result as Yes or else no

States1States2MY stateResult
WA, NY, CAWA, NYCA,WAYes
WA, NY, CAWA, NYCAYes
WA, NY, CAWA, NY No
WA, NY, CAWA, NYNZNo

I am wondering how can I do this with set Analysis .... any thoughts or examples??

Any help is appreciated....

7 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

If(substringcount(States1, [MY state]) or substringcount(States2, [MY state]), 'Yes','No')

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

I think SUBSTRINGCOUNT will only match the entire content of MyState - rather than individual elements e.g. 'CA,WA' in the first record, will not match to States1

You could possibly look into the SUBFIELD function - i haven't used it, but it appears to split a string out according to a delimiter. QlikView String Function cheat sheet

Other than that, the only way i can think is to change your Load Script to create a single line for each element of MyState

Not applicable
Author

so I created two functions in the load script:

SET vSplit = IF(LEN(SUBFIELD($1,',',$2))=0,'',SUBFIELD($1,',',$2));

SET vCheck = IF($(vSplit($2,$3))='',0,SUBSTRINGCOUNT($1,$(vSplit($2,$3))));

Then created my calculated expression in the front end as:

IF(($(vCheck(States1,MyState,1)) + $(vCheck(States1,MyState,2)) + $(vCheck(States2,MyState,1)) + $(vCheck(States2,MyState,2)))>0,'Yes','No')

only problem is - it is currently limited to 2 elements in MyState (you can extend it my adding $(vCheck(States1,MyState,3)) to the IF

There might be a way of creating a more complex function which loops through all elements of the MyState - but also something i have never done before!

Not applicable
Author

Hi Andrew,

Thanks but let me tell know here... the state counts may increase to 'n' number... so I can't do that .. let me know if you have any other solution.

Let me give one more example :

MY StateStates1States2
-,BC,CA,FL,GA,Guangdong,IL,NJ,NULL,ON,TXCA
-BC,CA,FL,GA,IL,MD,NC,NJ,ON,TXNC
CA,TX,VA,FLCA,FL,VAVA
-AB,AL,AZ,BC,CA,CO,CT,FL,GA,HI,IA,IL ,IN,KS,KY,LA,MA,MD,ME,MI,MN,MO,MS,MT,NC,ND,NE,NJ,NM,NV,NY,OH,OK,ON,OR,PA,SC,TN,TX,UT,VA,VT,WA,WITX

Here let me say my state is a super set .... if states in sate 1 + states2 are matching with MY state then Yes or No

So technically if my states have 10 states and states1 have 3 + states 2 have 3 i.e. union of states1 + states2 is 6 if all those 6 states are matching with my state i.e. 6/10 are matching then yes ...

right now I am deriving this logic from sql it self... but I am wondering if I can do this using set analysis

Not applicable
Author

I don't think its available in Set Analysis, in the current load format.

The only way I could find to make it work with n states in MyState, was to change the load script to make use of SUBFIELD() to split MyStates into single records e.g.

LOAD

MyState,

SUBFIELD(MyState,',') AS SubState

RESIDENT <MyStateSource>;

You can then use SUM(SUBSTRINGCOUNT(State1,SubState))>0 to determine whether there is a match on State1 and SUM(SUBSTRINGCOUNT(State2,SubState))>0 to determine a match on State2.

LEN(KEEPCHAR(MyState,','))+1 will tell you how many entries are in MyState - SUM(SUBSTRINGCOUNT()) will count how many of those match.

so:

(SUM(SUBSTRINGCOUNT(State1,SubState)) + SUM(SUBSTRINGCOUNT(State2,SubState))) / (LEN(KEEPCHAR(MyState,',')) + 1) would give you the (e.g.) 6/10

Gysbert_Wassenaar

See attached example

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

hahaha i'm an idiot.

used SUBSTRINGCOUNT several times, then reverted to LEN(KEEPCHAR()) to work out how many times ',' appears!