Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Possible to have users select their own columns in Qlik Sense?

Hello,

Is it possible to have columns in a table conditionally display based on an action? For example:

I want to have a way where end users can select their own columns that they want to add in straight tables. I'm aware that I may be able to create Master dimensions that users can use, but here are the following things I would like to do:

1. Be able to group some dimensions together so the user does not have to individually pick each dimension. Example create a grouped dimension called "Address" where if the user selects it as a dimension to add to a table, it will automatically add Street Line 1, Street Line 2, City, State, Zip Code, and Country as columns to the table, rather than have the user select the 6 columns separately

2. When creating a master dimension, is it possible to have it only viewable to some users who have access? As we create more master dimensions, it will be overwhelming for some of our users to try to search, so I want to keep a certain subset only viewable to our technical teams and super power users, without duplicating the apps or sheets for different groups if possible.

6 Replies
fkeuroglian
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi, try to create ad hoc report in sense

see this link, there is an qvf example explain this

Ad Hoc Reporting in Qlik Sense

Adhoc report in Qlik Sense

How to create ad-hoc Reports in Qliksense

Good Luck

Fernando K.

reddy-s
Master II
Master II

Hi notbuyingit,

I would say YES. The reason being you can create your own visualisations in Qliksense which is really very helpful.

This would be the way to approach it:

Create a hypercube with all the dimensions and measures you need and then create a UI where all the dimensions and measures which have been returned by the hypercube are shown as pills. Use a Jquery grad & Drop to allow the user to grab and drop the pills and create a table dynamically. This should be the approach to create an extension for this requirement.

Thanks,

Sangram.

reddy-s
Master II
Master II

Also you can have row level security to reduce data.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Sangram,

Thanks for the recommendation, but not sure I have the skills needed to create this would-be extension. Would you happen to have a sample qvf or documentation where I can reference and feel my way through? This seems like a good thing to explore, but I'll need some guidance as I don't have much experience in the developer world of extensions.

Let me know and thanks again Sangram!

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Fernando, I'm familiar with creating pre-made dimensions and measures for end users, however, what I'm looking for in particular is to have a way to group some dimensions together so that when users select that grouped dimension, all the sub-dimensions render on the table (my scenario #1 in original inquiry).

The other thing I'm looking to see if possible, is whether some dimensions or measures can be made visible to only some users or streams, but not to others (my scenario #2).

I took a look at the sample qvf file in the links you mentioned, but I'm not able to see how to use the sample to answer these 2 questions. Perhaps I'm missing something, let me know?

Thanks again

reddy-s
Master II
Master II

Hi,

I do not have any documentation as such but I can surely help you if you find a blocker anywhere during development.

Let me know if you need any help.

Thanks,

Sangram.