Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hansdevr
Creator III
Creator III

Split axis leads to overlapping values...

Dear all,

I have prepared a line chart, which shows two values, which should be compared. Because these values are far apart, I have used split axis. As you can see, the min and max values of the respective axises overlap. How can I avoid this?

Any help is welcome!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Well, usually people put labels for one of the axis on the left and the labels for the other on the right. That way no overlap is possible. I'd seriously consider two charts above one another. That will still make it fairly easy to make comparisons between them. Alternatively, if the comparison is so important then normalize them both so they show the relative change against an index value. Since you're then displaying ratios instead of absolute values the two lines can share a common y-axis.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

How can I avoid this?

Simple. Never use split axes. Always create two separate charts instead. There's no good use case for split axes. The alternatives are always better to interpret and understand.

hansdevr
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hahaha!! Good answer, but not exactly what I wanted to read.. The reason I want these graphs in split axis, is that there is a lot of control involved in setting up these graphs, and I'm too lazy to do it all twice.. No seriously, these graphs represent insurance reserve and IBNR stats, which should be closely compared for several years. Is there no way to avoid the overlap when I insist in using split axis?

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Well, usually people put labels for one of the axis on the left and the labels for the other on the right. That way no overlap is possible. I'd seriously consider two charts above one another. That will still make it fairly easy to make comparisons between them. Alternatively, if the comparison is so important then normalize them both so they show the relative change against an index value. Since you're then displaying ratios instead of absolute values the two lines can share a common y-axis.

hansdevr
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Your last sentence made sense. Thanks!!