Defect acknowledgement with Nprinting Engine May 2022 SR2, please READ HERE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

dynamic report name in nprinting excel reports

Hi,

I tried to provide a dynamic to the excel report in NPrinting using Qlikview variable. But the variable cannot be evaluated and it returns the same expression as the result.

ex: I have created a variable for Maximum available Year as below.

vMaxYear=Year(Max(Ref_Date))

The same variable is being referred in the report name and The report name appears as Report_Year(Max(Ref_Date)).

But it should be displayed as Report_2016.

Could you please assist me how to achieve this and let me know where I am going wrong?

The screenshot is attached

Thanks,

Ramesh.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

The display will show the variable name in the preview as the variable description.   When you run a task with this report, does it not show the actual variable in the name?

I just added a variable to my QV app and called it vShow.  I assigned a value in my variable overview and then went and added it to my dynamic naming.   When I run the task, the variable shows up as evaluated in my report name.

You will not get the dynamic name when creating a preview.

To test, you could create a text box in your qv app and see what the result is of your variable

variable show.PNG

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

The display will show the variable name in the preview as the variable description.   When you run a task with this report, does it not show the actual variable in the name?

I just added a variable to my QV app and called it vShow.  I assigned a value in my variable overview and then went and added it to my dynamic naming.   When I run the task, the variable shows up as evaluated in my report name.

You will not get the dynamic name when creating a preview.

To test, you could create a text box in your qv app and see what the result is of your variable

variable show.PNG

Not applicable
Author

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your help. The issue is resolved now. The issue is because of the date displaying as 3/2/2016. It gives a message 'Invalid characters in a file name" because of Slash Symbol '/' present in the date.

Now I have modified as 3-2-2016 and it works now.

Again I would like to say thanks for spending your valuable time.

Thanks,

Ramesh.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Mike,

Is there any  way that we can capture the filter that we are applying for the report to the report name?

Your suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ramesh.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

In the Dynamic Names, you can choose Custom Text and pretty much put whatever you want.  For example, say I want a salesman as my filter.   I would precede a variable item with a custom text that said 'Salesman ' and the variable in the next item would add the Salesman name.

This is a little less dynamic, but doable for your needs.  If you have a lot of filter fields, it might be cumbersome.

dynamic names2.PNG

Not applicable
Author

Hi Mike,

I need dynamic name for my report based on filter applied to the report.

Say, I am applying a date filter 3-30-2016 to my report 'Report'. The report name should be 'Report_3-3-2016'.

Thanks,

Ramesh.

Stephen_Jasionowski

Ramesh -

If the date filter is part of a cycle, you can include the cycled dimension value as part of the dynamic name.

The date that is offered as part of the dynamic naming in NPrinting refers to the date the report is generated.

In this case, you can create another QV variable for the selected date and add that variable to the dynamic name in addition to the one you are already using.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Stephen,

I was able to do it now. Thanks a lot for your help.

Thanks,

Ramesh.