Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Set Scroll To Right Of Chart By Default

Hi,

When showing a chart with time as a dimension along the X axis it is logical to have the earliest date to the left.  Sense, quite helpfully, adds a scroll when the number of dates to show gets too large to fit in (a show all bars option like in QlikView would be nice, but...).  Invariably the bars that the user wants to look at in the first instance are those over to the right of the chart, but the default for where the scroll goes to is to the left.

Is there any way to set the default for the scrolling over to the right hand side instead for some charts?

If there is not it would be a really neat feature to add.

Is this perhaps something that is on the roadmap mtojgd‌ ?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Patrik_Lundblad
Employee
Employee

Hi Steve & Michael,

We are aware of this request and have plans for it.

Patrik.

Later edit addition.

This feature has been added as a setting called scroll alignment, which is available since Qlik Sense 3.1 

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Steve thanks for your question.

The only thing I see that can be done is to change the sort order. If the user does not have access to the Edit option for the chart / layout etc. You can use the new Visual Exploration feature (if this is needed by a end-user for example) - to switch the sort order to descending  - so the bars to the right (i assume you mean if sorted ascending) would now be on the left.

See the .mp4 - to give you an idea.

I also added plu‌ to this discussion to make him aware of your request.

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Changing the sort order also occurred to me, but with the date dimension on the x-axis that's not intuitive. But, perhaps your bar chart can be shown in a horizontal layout. Then with the reversed sort order the users will find the newest dates on top. That's works reasonable well. But I have no idea if your chart (or sheet layout) makes that a workable alternative.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

Unfortunately the chart needs to have the dates in ascending order along the bottom of the chart.

Thinking about a calculated dimension to bucket into groups of a number of months in order that a scroll bar won't appear.  Not an ideal solution though.

Hopefully defaulting the scroll to the right will come in soon, but it has not appeared in QlikView despite being a constant bug bear there also.

Steve

reddy-s
Master II
Master II

Hi Steve,

You can acheive this for sure using an extesnion, or add a custom css property to your visualization:

CSS property:

overflow: scroll;

and its going to look like this:

Untitled.png

Patrik_Lundblad
Employee
Employee

Hi Steve & Michael,

We are aware of this request and have plans for it.

Patrik.

Later edit addition.

This feature has been added as a setting called scroll alignment, which is available since Qlik Sense 3.1 

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

Hi Patrik - thank you for advising that this will be addressed at some future point - I hope it is relatively soon.

I presume that this will be for Sense only and not for QlikView that it is being resolved?

Steve

Patrik_Lundblad
Employee
Employee

For Sense yes.

Patrik.

saxjonas
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Turns out, there's been a function for defaulting scroll position to right in QlikView all along:

https://community.qlik.com/thread/114472

Seems to work on bar/line charts, though not on pivot charts it seems.

Oliver_F
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

As this is one of the first entries in google when you are facing this problem, it should be mentioned that this is possible since QS 3.1.

Line chart properties ‒ Qlik Sense

==> Scroll Alignment