Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How can you use SUM(Column(n)) ?

Hey there,

I have a very complex set of calculations I am doing in a straight table. I made a simple example, as seen below, to explain my problem:

Capture.JPG

Column A is my dimension.

Calculated expressions:

Column D : column(1) * column(2)

Column G : column(4) * column(5)

Column H : column(3) + column(6)

Column I : SUM(column(7)) / SUM(total column(7))

With Column I the problem comes in, it does not calculate. When ticking the "Relative" box on the Expressions tab it gives the correct answer, but it does not allow you to use that percentage. Is there some way to solve this?

Thank you,

Elmarie

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

The Column() function and references to the expression name operate on a strictly row-by-row basis. It is not possible to use multirow aggregations like Sum, but the inter-record functions Above() and Below() work. It is possible to use this  construct in place of Sum(Column(1)):

=Rangesum(Above(Column(1), 1, NoOfRows(TOTAL)))+RangeSum(Below(Column(1), 0, NoOfRows(TOTAL)))

(or with column names)

But it may be better to use the expression as max dreamer says, although you may need to wrap the expression in Sum(Aggr(...))

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein

View solution in original post

5 Replies
sunny_talwar

It does not allow to use percentage? Can you share a sample?

settu_periasamy
Master III
Master III

Hi,

it seems, sum function is not working with column() / label name of column. But Rangesum is working..

e.g

sum(column(7)) -> gives 0  but rangesum(column(7)) gives values

so, you can try like

=[Total cost]/Rangesum(sum(TOTAL [2015 price]*[2015 Quantity]),
                        sum(TOTAL
[2016 Price]*[2016 Quantity]
))

Here, [Total cost] is a Label name and check the Relative option..

Capture.JPG

Suggestion : Instead of using column(1), column(2) , You can directly use the label name.

like [2015 price]*[2015 Quantity] (careful with your original field name)

Sample Attached

PrashantSangle

Hi,

Use actual expression instead of column No or column Name.

Regards,

Great dreamer's dreams never fulfilled, they are always transcended.
Please appreciate our Qlik community members by giving Kudos for sharing their time for your query. If your query is answered, please mark the topic as resolved 🙂
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

The Column() function and references to the expression name operate on a strictly row-by-row basis. It is not possible to use multirow aggregations like Sum, but the inter-record functions Above() and Below() work. It is possible to use this  construct in place of Sum(Column(1)):

=Rangesum(Above(Column(1), 1, NoOfRows(TOTAL)))+RangeSum(Below(Column(1), 0, NoOfRows(TOTAL)))

(or with column names)

But it may be better to use the expression as max dreamer says, although you may need to wrap the expression in Sum(Aggr(...))

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable
Author

Like I said my calculations are very complex in the qvd I am developing with a vast amount of variables. So using the column names is not the solution. I just do not understand why QlikView does not have this functionality to use sum and column.

On another note, thank you Jonathan! It works perfectly now.

Thank you everyone for your help, really appreciate it!

Kind regards,

Elmarie