Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mwallman
Creator III
Creator III

What is faster? Resident Loads or Loads on Preceding Loads?

Hi,

Can anybody please tell me what is faster? Resident Loads or Loads on Preceding Loads?

Or generally they are about the same?

E.g. I want to do some further calculations on some fields, is it better to use Resident Load or Preceding Loads?

16 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Yez.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Sunny, just read the second and third comment from

Preceding Load

Not applicable

I ran test script on 10 milion rows (random test data).

Optimized load 6sec.

Preceding load (with 1 'if' and 'multiplication') 23sec.

Resident load with the same transformations as above 11sec.

But from my short experience it looks like 'it depends' on where conditions and transformations used.

Colin-Albert

My two penn'orth....

Preceeding loads are faster than resident loads (usually), but in some cases you cannot use a preceeding load.

If you use a wildcard in the from; or if you have a crosstable function, then you cannot use a preceeding load

Sometimes I have found that storing a table to QV, dropping the table and then and reloading from the QVD can be faster than using resident load, even though the QVD load is not optimised.

I don't think there is a simple "one rule always applies" fix, simply if you think the option you have chosen is not performing well, then try another approach!

Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I think Rob just reviewed this few months ago, since there were changes in performance over last few years:

This shows it all

Preceding Load Performance Update | Qlikview Cookbook

regards

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

yes, according to him there´s no noticeable difference into latests versions