Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Issue when adding document to Source Control

Hi all,

We have our QlikView system linked to TFS for versioning and source control. Normally this works fine but for one document in particular there are issues when trying to add it to source control.

I got to the menu option to add it, but when I click it nothing happens, and the usual pop up window doesn't appear. a -prj folder is created in the folder where the document is stored, but it is empty. Any attempts afterwards to add it to source control result in an error saying that it cannot find the Qlikview Project file in the -prj folder.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Perhaps a non-printing character in the file name?

I had a case a few months ago where I created the -prj and then I could no longer save the document.The save operation would hang at the point where QV created a tmp file and it wrote nothing to the -prj file. I had to delete the -prj folder to save the document.

I concluded that this was due to some corruption in the document and landed up having to recreate it (which took a couple of hours), after which the -prj save worked properly. Although your symptoms are slightly different, it may also be caused by some internal corruption.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein

View solution in original post

5 Replies
awhitfield
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

Hi James,

is the folder correctly named?

Export QlikView application (QVW) file to a PRJ folder

1. Create a folder named the same way as QlikView application with -PRJ as suffix, in the same folder as the QlikView application. For example if the application file is named MyApplication the project folder sould be named MyApplication-PRJUser-added image
  2. Open the QlikView application that you want to export to a PRJ Folder.
  3. Press Save (or Ctrl+S) to trigger the export of the application content to the PRJ folder.
  4. Open the PRJ folder in a file explorer window to confirm the content has been exported. The folder should contain XML and TXT files corresponding to the objects and properties in the QlikView application.

NOTE1: The content will only be exported to the PRJ folder every time the QVW file is saved NOTE2: The PRJ folder will not contain data, which also includes variable values  Recreate QlikView application (QVW) file from the PRJ folder

1. If the QVW still exists, rename it to something that does not match the PRJ folder name. For example add a underscore to the file name, mainly to enable reverting to the original file if required later. User-added image
  2. Open QlikView desktop client
  3. Create a new document
  4. Save the document with the same name as the PRJ Folder. For example so that you get a file structure as the image below. User-added image
  5. Close the QlikView application, without saving the document again if prompted. This triggers importing the data from the PRJ folder to the QVW file.
  6. Reopen the QVW file to validate that the file has been restored.
Not applicable
Author

Hi Andrew,

The folder is definitely called the same thing as the document, with the added -prj suffix.

I've tried saving the document when the folder is created automatically, and when i've created it manually, but both times it remains empty, with no xml or txt files created at all.

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Perhaps a non-printing character in the file name?

I had a case a few months ago where I created the -prj and then I could no longer save the document.The save operation would hang at the point where QV created a tmp file and it wrote nothing to the -prj file. I had to delete the -prj folder to save the document.

I concluded that this was due to some corruption in the document and landed up having to recreate it (which took a couple of hours), after which the -prj save worked properly. Although your symptoms are slightly different, it may also be caused by some internal corruption.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable
Author

The file name is quite generic, and i've tried changing it to something else with the same results.

I did wonder if it was some kind of corruption that would require me to recreate the document though. I was hoping that I could avoid having to go down that route, but thankfully it's not a huge report so hopefully wont take too long to recreate. Will see if that fixes the problem.

Not applicable
Author

It looks like it has now worked after I re-created the document. Bit of a pain to do, but at least its done now.

Thanks for your help