cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rittermd
Master
Master

Repository Snapshot Error

I finally got my snapshot to run.  But it is showing an error that I am not sure what it means.

Backing up certificate, type=Root

May 17 03:57:38 2016: ScrutinizeCertificateExtension(X509Certificate2 cert, X509Extension extension): Valid root certificate found and backed up

May 17 03:57:38 2016: Backing up certificate, type=Service

May 17 03:57:38 2016: ScrutinizeCertificateExtension(X509Certificate2 cert, X509Extension extension): Valid service certificate found and backed up

May 17 03:57:38 2016: Backing up certificate, type=Client

May 17 03:57:38 2016: BackupCertificate(X509Store, CertificateType): Error: One or more certificates not backed up, checking...

May 17 03:57:38 2016: Root certificate? Yes, Service certificate? Yes, Client certificate? No

May 17 03:57:38 2016: ERROR: All certificates could not be backed up, see log file for further details....

May 17 03:57:38 2016: Closing service controllers...

May 17 03:57:38 2016: Closing migration service controller...

May 17 03:57:38 2016: Closing printing service controller...

May 17 03:57:38 2016: Closing scheduler service controller...

May 17 03:57:38 2016: Closing proxy service controller...

May 17 03:57:38 2016: Closing engine service controller...

May 17 03:57:38 2016: Closing repository service controller...

May 17 03:57:38 2016: Closing repository database service controller...

May 17 03:57:38 2016: All service controllers freed

May 17 03:57:38 2016: System backup has completed with errors. Review the Logs.

May 17 03:57:38 2016:

1.  Does anyone know what the error is?  I am thinking it means that we do not have a client certificate to backup.  We have not installed a certificate yet.

2.  When it says check the log file.  What log file?  This came out of the log file from the snapshot.  Is there another log to check?

6 Replies
Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

My gut feel is that it isn't backing up the Client cert because you aren't running the RSM as the service account. The QlikClient cert is only accessible in MMC when you are running MMC since that cert is placed into the current user portion of the certificate store.

rittermd
Master
Master
Author

The Repository Database service is running with Local System and not the service account setup for all of the others.  Are you saying that if I switch this service to that account that the certificate should then backup?

Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

Local System does make things tough. I haven't done this, but I am reasonably confident that PsTools (PsTools) can be used to run an EXE as local system.

rittermd
Master
Master
Author

Now I am more confused.  Not sure what your last post means. Why would I need PsTools?

Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

Because the QlikClient certificate is stored in the current user certificate store. Since the services are running as the Local System account (LocalSystem Account (Windows)) you will need to execute the RSM as the service account, the local system account in this case, to be able to access the QlikClient certificate. There may be Microsoft articles walking you through alternative ways to do this, but I do know that the PsExec tool includes in PsTools allows you emulate that local system user (https://verbalprocessor.com/2007/12/05/running-a-cmd-prompt-as-local-system/).

These extra steps are needed since there is no dedicated account to running Qlik Sense services, which you could login to the server as.

ahmedadmin
Contributor III
Contributor III

Levi,

I am able to run the RSM successfully. I have provided all the prompts. However, when I am scheduling it through windows scheduler it is stopping by asking [Do you want to proceed y or n] (I have provided all the PW's for the Data repository and the certificate in the script). ]

I have added this script as a .bat file and I am trying to schedule it through windows scheduler.

But, it is still stopping at the prompt with [Yor N].

Please let me know if it requires any modification to the script.

Thanks in Advance.