Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Difference between Server version x64 (64bit) and x86 (32bit)

Dear community members,

We are using the QlikView Server Version 11.20, Release SR13. I see that there are different versions: x64 (64bit) and x86 (32bit).

I understand that one version is to be installed in 64 bits machines and another to be installed in 32 bits machines. However we have installed the 32 bit version in a 64 bit machine and it all worked fine. The application is working perfectly.

I would then like to know, what is the real difference between the two versions? Is it just a matter of performance optimization or some functionality difference?

Thank you for your attention.

Best regards,

Patricia

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oknotsen
Master III
Master III

The 32bit version will be limited to using 4GB of memory. Not because we want that, but that is just simply the technical limitation of a 32bit machine. That's it.

May you live in interesting times!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
oknotsen
Master III
Master III

The 32bit version will be limited to using 4GB of memory. Not because we want that, but that is just simply the technical limitation of a 32bit machine. That's it.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If I'm not mistaken, you can install almost every 32-bit Windows application on a 64-bit operating system. The application will then interface with Windows using an API layer called SysWOW64 that makes the 64-bit machine look like a 32-bit machine to all 32-bit applications. As a result and just like Onno already stated, your application will never be able to use more resources than what the artificial 32-bit environment allows for, even when your 64-bit system has 100's of Gigs of free memory.

Better install the 64-bit version of the software.

Peter

oknotsen
Master III
Master III

I can confirm what Peter is writing:

You can install QlikView 32bit on a 64bit machine without problems.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Onno,

Thank you for the information. So it means that there is no functional difference between the versions, only regarding the use of memory?

Thank you!

Patricia

oknotsen
Master III
Master III

No difference in QlikView functionality.

The only differences are...

... you can NOT install the 64bit version on a 32bit OS.

... the 32bit version will be limited to 4gb RAM, no matter what OS you install it on or how many gb RAM is actually has.

Both these things have to do with your OS.