cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikelutomski
Creator
Creator

Viewing all Qlik Sense Data Connections in Data Load Editor

Should all of the Data Connections that are listed in the QMC be displayed in an Application Data Load Editor?

There are 35 connections displayed in the QMC, 16 of which are actually being displayed in the Data Load Editor.

How can I get the rest of those connections to show up?

I would like to avoid our users from creating the same connections multiple times.

Thank you in advance.

-Mike

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kevincase
Creator II
Creator II

Mike,

This is where you have to play with the security rules.

For example, by default I believe that anyone can create connections.  This may be something that you want to limit to a select group.  We only grant access to our QVD folder to our power users.  We don't want everyone creating their own applications and generating QVDs!  Since Qlik is self service, the user community should build off the applications that have been published.

If you are going to have 5 developers, You could create a rule that grants these 5 users access to all connections.  You could create a rule that says if the user role is RootAdmin and the connection is of type folder then they have access.

For me this is the rule I created to grant Read access to our QVD Folder to our power users.

We limit access as to:

Application Creation

Application Publishing

Connection Creation, Editing and Deleting

Access to individual connections or folders

Stream access

These are just some things that you may want to plan out.  It's all managed by creating custom security rules.

Hope this helps!

Kevin

View solution in original post

5 Replies
kevincase
Creator II
Creator II

Mike,

This is where you have to play with the security rules.

For example, by default I believe that anyone can create connections.  This may be something that you want to limit to a select group.  We only grant access to our QVD folder to our power users.  We don't want everyone creating their own applications and generating QVDs!  Since Qlik is self service, the user community should build off the applications that have been published.

If you are going to have 5 developers, You could create a rule that grants these 5 users access to all connections.  You could create a rule that says if the user role is RootAdmin and the connection is of type folder then they have access.

For me this is the rule I created to grant Read access to our QVD Folder to our power users.

We limit access as to:

Application Creation

Application Publishing

Connection Creation, Editing and Deleting

Access to individual connections or folders

Stream access

These are just some things that you may want to plan out.  It's all managed by creating custom security rules.

Hope this helps!

Kevin

Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

To follow up on Kevin's suggestion here, from memory, there is a distinction in the security rules between Data connections involving folders and those not involving folders. Without customization, I suspect the difference is explained by this.

mikelutomski
Creator
Creator
Author

Kevin and Levi,

Thanks for the help.  I think these will work, however I cannot verify that they have because we are having syncing issues between the QMC and the Hub. 

I can audit the rules and can verify in the QMC that the new rule is set up properly, but they are still not displaying in the hub.

We have a ticket submitted, so hopefully we get it working soon.

Thanks again for the help.

-Mike

Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

I would've forgotten it, but to follow up the default rules are DataConnection (everyone can create except for folders) and FolderDataConnection (confined to Admin levels) but of course customization could have occurred here.

LynseyM
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Hi Mike,

I know this post was some time ago but I wondered if you could help. We have a similar syncing issue of security rules from QMC to the HUB and just wondered how this was resolved.

Thanks,

Lynsey