cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jzimolong
Creator II
Creator II

Map - KML - US County

New to Qlik Sense (downloaded the free desktop version this past weekend), but the Map feature is just what we've been looking for.  What I've been trying to accomplish over the past 4 days is figuring out how to import a KML file, for US Counties, that automatically brings in the "name" as :

Two digit state - county name -  For example, it would bring in name = "NY-Erie"

Trying to avoid the common issue where you have the same county name all over the country.  Cannot figure out how to come up with a KML file that I can link to with the key of state-county ( NY-Erie ).  Each time I play around with a US Census KML file, it ALWAYS imports area.name = county name

I am posting this discussion in hopes that someone can point me to a good link/suggestion that will explain how I can "modify" an existing KML file so Qlik Sense will bring in the "name" field as state-county, so I can then link my real estate data to the KML and generate the mapping visuals we've been looking for.

I hope this question isn't redundant, but I have been at this for several days and keep coming up empty.

Thank you in advance.

Joe

15 Replies
rbpeterson2
Contributor III
Contributor III

original image didn't come through ... KML_not_all_counties.jpg

rbecher
MVP
MVP

Looks to me that you have an issue with some states?

Astrato.io Head of R&D
rbpeterson2
Contributor III
Contributor III

‌For sure!   Looking at it now, it looks like they've been loaded in order of the FIPS code ending at KS; KY would be the next one and is the first one that drops.  Potentially an issue there in the KML... I'll see what's up at that location and post results of the KML needs modified. 

rbpeterson2
Contributor III
Contributor III

Appears that Qlik Sense has a limitation to only allow 1000 unique area identifiers.  Will have to work with support to try to change that.

oknotsen
Master III
Master III

You could question if over 1000 areas in one overview is still useful (or even over a 100).

Might be worth it to go up a level and turn it into a drill-down dimension.

May you live in interesting times!
rbpeterson2
Contributor III
Contributor III

So, added a drilldown, and now it's showing all of the counties.  Not really sure how the interpolation of the information for viewing the polygon data from the KML is related to a drilldown dimension, but hey, it worked.  (but did find the KML is missing two counties: one in Wyoming and one in Nebraska)