Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Pick function and string values

Hello al, I have some problems with the Pick function;

I make a string with several names in it which i want to use later on in a variable;

Scenario 1;

Let vLevelNames='Naam 1'&','&'Naam 2'&','&'Naam 3'&','&'Naam 4'&','&'Naam 5'&','&'Naam 6';

Let vLevelName=Pick(1,$(vLevelNames));

I Get the next error;

Error in expression:
')' expected
Let vLevelName=Pick(1,Naam 1,Naam 2,Naam 3,Naam 4,Naam 5,Naam 6)

Scenario 2;
Let vLevelNames='Naam 1'&','&'Naam 2'&','&'Naam 3'&','&'Naam 4'&','&'Naam 5'&','&'Naam 6';

I get no error and also na value for vLevelName

Scenario 3;

Let vLevelNames=10&','&11&','&12&','&13&','&14&','&15;

Works perfectly, no errors and value 10 for vLevelName

Does anyone know why scenario 1 and 2 don't work, and what to do to get them work. Thnx in advance.

Greetz Sander

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello Sander,

You were almost there. When it comes to literals or strings, you need to single quote them. There are two ways of doing that using variables, depending on whether the assignment is done by LET or SET:

SET vLevelNames='Naam 1','Naam 2','Naam 3','Naam 4','Naam 5','Naam 6'; // This stores as a literal, not evaluating the content, s no need to use & between valuesLET vLevelNames = chr(39) & 'Naam 1' & chr(39) & ',' & chr(39) & 'Naam 2' & chr(39) & ',' & chr(39) & 'Naam 3' & chr(39) & ',' & chr(39) & 'Naam 4' & chr(39) & ',' & chr(39) & 'Naam 5' & chr(39) & ',' & chr(39) & 'Naam 6' & chr(39); // LET does evaluate the assignment, so chr(39) is translated into ' symbol, needed to quote the results in order to get Pick() working

The LET option is cumbersome, but it may be useful in the future when you do need evaluation of the assignment.

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello Sander,

You were almost there. When it comes to literals or strings, you need to single quote them. There are two ways of doing that using variables, depending on whether the assignment is done by LET or SET:

SET vLevelNames='Naam 1','Naam 2','Naam 3','Naam 4','Naam 5','Naam 6'; // This stores as a literal, not evaluating the content, s no need to use & between valuesLET vLevelNames = chr(39) & 'Naam 1' & chr(39) & ',' & chr(39) & 'Naam 2' & chr(39) & ',' & chr(39) & 'Naam 3' & chr(39) & ',' & chr(39) & 'Naam 4' & chr(39) & ',' & chr(39) & 'Naam 5' & chr(39) & ',' & chr(39) & 'Naam 6' & chr(39); // LET does evaluate the assignment, so chr(39) is translated into ' symbol, needed to quote the results in order to get Pick() working

The LET option is cumbersome, but it may be useful in the future when you do need evaluation of the assignment.

Hope that helps

Not applicable
Author

Thnx, this is the solution!!Smile