1     NY

2     NY

3     FL

4     OH

State

NY     USA

FL     USA

OH     USA

I'll do Section Access and reduce on Order Number. Suppose a specific user is only authorized to Order 3 & 4. In addition to the data in Orders being reduces to 3 & 4, the data in State will be reduced to only FL and OH.

How do I do the reduction, but specify that I don't want the data in table State to be reduced? I would still want other connected tables to be reduced.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

18 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Leslie,

section access with data reduction is adding a 'reduce to possible values' after applying selections based on the reduction field values for the logged in user.

So, to develop a solution to your requirement, forget about the section access table for now.

You need to develop a data model, that fulfills your requirement (limiting the possible record set to only values the user is allowed to see, but without removing dimensional values he needs to see) just by making selections in fields of your data model.

If you've created such a data model, creating the section access table should be easy then.

Hence you need to create a data model where you can limit - for any given user scenario - the order number by making selections. This selection shall not limit the possible state values.

I believe my suggested data model fulfills your requirement. You may have some additional requirements or you are using the order number field in some expressions where additional DUMMY values are unwanted (well, it looks like a key field, so you probably shouldn't do this anyway).

You can think about creating an additional field in your order table to handle this:

Orders:

REDUCTION, Order Number, State

1,   1,     NY

2,   2 ,    NY

3,   3,     FL

4,   4 ,    OH

DUMMY,    , NY

DUMMY,    ,FL

DUMMY,    OH

If your user should only see order number 3 and 4, create a section access table that authorizes him to REDUCTION field values, 3,4, DUMMY.

Now he sees only Order number 3 and 4, but still all states values.

[

You can automate the creation of the additional DUMMY values by concatenating your distinct State values together with a constant DUMMY value to Orders table:

CONCATENATE (Orders)

LOAD 'DUMMY' as REDUCTION, State

RESIDENT StateDimensionalTable;

]

Hope this helps,

Stefan

lblumenfeld
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Rob,

I did end up going with a slightly modified version of the dummy records and it works really well.

Thanks,

Leslie

lblumenfeld
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

How do I mark this post as answered?

oknotsen
Master III
Master III

Click on the "Correct Answer" image on the post that is the correct answer.

May you live in interesting times!
lblumenfeld
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

There is none. All I have are "actions," "like," and "reply."

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Leslie,

Please see this post for details on Marking Replies as Correct or Helpful. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Best regards,

Qlik Community Team

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Leslie,

are you using a different account now vs. the time you've created the thread?

Seems like there are two different accounts in this thread.

You can only close the thread using the same account that was used for creating the thread.

Regards,

Stefan

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You created this discussion with an account called meridian_lblumenfeld. You're now posting using an account called lblumenfeld. Those are different accounts. Do you still have access to the other account?

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If not, you can always try asking one of the Community Moderators/Managers like Jeremy, Onno or Sara to close it for you.

Best,

Peter