Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Proper method to delete a document from the server

Good morning,

I am about to upgrade an application by moving the original document to to an archive directory and renaming the beta version to the original name. What should I do with the original qvw.beta and qvw.shared. The original and the beta versions both have document CALs associated and have reload schedules. What is the proper procedure for this action?

Thanks,

Rich

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello Rich,

They store metadata information (for example when you use DMS authentication) and shared objects (including bookmarks) saved by users (if theya re allowed to). It depends on you if you need to keep these data or rather replace completely the old file by the new one. I usually leave them there, unless the files is having issues.

Anyway, both files will be created again the first time they are accessed by means of a client.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello Rich,

Here is what I'd do. First, unassign the document CALs from the documents (which will likely take 24 hours until complete removal). Then, set to "None" the reloading options of the document, so you don't see this document's reload as a task in the Console. Then move the files (or rename them) and rename the new files.

Although QlikView Server usually understands that a new document with the same name is actually the same document (my guess is that licenses are assigned to document names and same happens to tasks) so it will respect the tasks and licenses just overwriting the old files (or moving the existing to another place in the filesystem, and copying the new ones in the same place), I've sometimes found some issues that these steps have avoided.

Hope that helps.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your quick reply Miguel,

After deleting the a document should I also delete the .QVW.META and QWV (shared) files as well?

Thanks,

Rich

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello Rich,

They store metadata information (for example when you use DMS authentication) and shared objects (including bookmarks) saved by users (if theya re allowed to). It depends on you if you need to keep these data or rather replace completely the old file by the new one. I usually leave them there, unless the files is having issues.

Anyway, both files will be created again the first time they are accessed by means of a client.

Hope that helps.

obo
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Richard

Do not delete the original document, Move it or rename it; QVW.META and shared file leave it with the original names. After you have moved or renamed the document you can paste the updated one.

After these you can check in your AP if the document has been updated; Then you can re-schedule your task reload from the QEMC. Off course these was an extra explanation folowing the steps from Miguel Angel Which were really good.

Good Luck!