Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AliAzizi
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Should NUMA be disabled on Windows 2012?

Hi everyone

According to a quick tip in Community (Quick tips #8 - Server Settings For Best Performance) NUMA should be disabled on QlikView servers to improve the performance.

The article says:

"...Since 11.2 SR2 QVS is defaulted to an automated state that detects NUMA status and set EnableNumaRoundRobin setting in accordance to recommendations..."

We are running QlikView 11.2 SR11 on a Windows 2012 server. Should I be able to see an entry for "EnableNumaRoundRobin" in the Setting.ini file on the server? For the moment it's not the case?

Thank you

6 Replies
Leigh_Kennedy
Employee
Employee

It doesn't set this in the file, it sets it at runtime.  You should see messages in the logs if it needs to enable the setting.

Look for something like this:

2016-06-02 08:32:532016-06-02 08:32:534700Information

NUMA: QVS configured to get adapt to NUMA environment

Regards.

AliAzizi
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Hi Leigh

Thank you for your response. I've seen the following messages in the Event log everytime the server restarts (we have some performance issues that make the server to restart):

700 Information NUMA: QVS configured to get adapt to NUMA environment

700 Information NUMA: NON-NUMA DETECTED

Does it mean that NUMA is allready disabled on this server?

Br / Ali

Leigh_Kennedy
Employee
Employee

From memory yes. I can't find the documentation though. 

gustavgager
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

It dempends a bit on how much memory and CPUs you have in your server.

For singel CPU servers NUMA is not even an Issue. On two CPU CPU servers, its not that big of a deal either (on modern CPUs the interconnect between the CPUs is fast enough that the performance diffrence is not an issue). However if you use 4 physical CPUs ore more, then NUMA can be an issue.

What kind of server do you have and what performance issues are you having?

Leigh_Kennedy
Employee
Employee

My view is even if it only gives you a 2% improvement on a 2 CPU box why wouldn't you do it?  If a simple setting give you an improvement you are getting a better ROI on your investment on both the hardware and Qlik.

gustavgager
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

I would say that thoose 2% is within the margin of error. In a 1 or 2 CPU enviroment, NUMA have no pratical use and i would guess that it doesnt make an difference if its on or off. But as you have stated, there is no penelty of turning it off either. Just dont worry about it at all