Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How do I activate... Pivot Chart Properties: Style: Stripes on every __ row feature ??

Hello All,

I would like to change the color of every other row in a pivot table but the option is greyed out for me and I do not know how to activate it. I have tried every Current Style option and none of them allow me to make a change

See screen shot attached: From Pivot chart: Chart Properties: Style: Stripes on every __ row

Can anyone please help me with this??

Thank you in advance,

Jennifer

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Jennifer Hagen wrote:Is there another background color expression field somewhere that I am not thinking of??

Yep. Remove the visual cues. Go to the dimensions tab. For each dimension, click on the + next to that dimension. Click on "background color". Click "edit". Enter the expression there and hit OK. Go to the expressions tab. For each expression, click on the + next to that expression. Click on "background color". Enter the expression in the definition window.

Lightgray() is more than a hint of shading. I think the normal background color for total rows, for instance, would be rgb(245,245,245). You might try that instead for a hint of shading.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I don't think you can activate that option. Since it is a pivot table, you can be expanding and collapsing rows all the time. So if you had stripes every N rows, these stripes would be shifting around between values, possibly causing confusion. To avoid this confusion, it looks like QlikTech doesn't give you that option.

I can think of one approach that would work on fully-expanded rows. For the first (edit: I mean last) dimension and each expression, enter this as the background color expression:

if(even(rowno(total)),lightgray())

If you don't want light gray, use whatever rgb() expression you want. It sort of works. It won't put the color on any collapsed rows. And as I mentioned, as you expand and collapse, which rows are colored can jump around. But it seems like what you're asking for, or as close as makes much sense on a pivot table. I wouldn't do it, though. Or maybe, but only if I'd selected "always fully-expanded" on the presentation tab (which I think should activate your stripes option, but doesn't, at least in my version 9).

Edit: And if you allow pivoting, putting the expression on the "last" dimension makes no sense. I guess you could put it on every dimension, and whichever one is currently "last" would pick up the color.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks John -

I appreciate your quick response.

I would like to add just a hint of shading to help break up all of these lines of data. I think the light gray sound like it would work nicely but will gauge it when I get it set up.

I tried entering this formula in the Chart Properties: Visual Cues: Normal: Background: Base Color: Calculated field but nothing happens, even when fully expanded.

Is there another background color expression field somewhere that I am not thinking of??

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Jennifer Hagen wrote:Is there another background color expression field somewhere that I am not thinking of??

Yep. Remove the visual cues. Go to the dimensions tab. For each dimension, click on the + next to that dimension. Click on "background color". Click "edit". Enter the expression there and hit OK. Go to the expressions tab. For each expression, click on the + next to that expression. Click on "background color". Enter the expression in the definition window.

Lightgray() is more than a hint of shading. I think the normal background color for total rows, for instance, would be rgb(245,245,245). You might try that instead for a hint of shading.

Not applicable
Author

Well how about that? That is awesome and worked like a charm! Learn something new everyday, right? Thanks John!!