Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

What am I doing wrong with my data model

Hi guys, I need to better understand how Qliksense data models work and why mine is messing up

I come from a SQL background so understand joins though cant quite get my head round this....

I have successfully built some Qliksense apps to varying degrees of success but synthetic keys are confusing me.  I've read various articles and stuff.  This one seems very simple and I've gone back to basics.  I'm working with 2 personal data files at this point on QlikCloud basic version so....

File 1 - rpt_ListContacts.txt

has fields

list_id,list_name,imported,campaign_id,call_date,call_hour,calls,dmcs,contacts,last_import_date

I load this, create the visuals/KPIs and everything stacks up just fine (which you would expect)

eg

dimensions list_id, call_date, call_hour

measures sum(dmcs), sum(contacts)

File 2 - rpt_ListLeads.txt

has fields

list_id,call_date,call_hour,leads

So the purpose of this file is to literally add sum(leads) to what I already have so

dimensions list_id, call_date, call_hour

measures sum(dmcs), sum(contacts), sum(leads)

In SQL I would do something like

select

c.list_id,

c.call_date,

c.call_hour,

sum(c.dmcs) as dmcs,

sum(c.contacts) as contacts,

sum(l.leads) as leads

from

rpt_ListContacts c

(right/left) join

rpt_ListLeads l

on c.call_date = l.call_date and c.call_hour = l.call_hour and c.list_id = l.list_id

group by

c.list_id,

c.call_date,

c.call_hour

When I add the 2nd file to my data model I get the synthetic key warning.  This is what my model looks like.DataModel.PNG

I also tried adding a key field as you can see by concatonating the list_id, call_date, and call_hour fields.  I read that can help but dont quite get it.

Anyway, when I add a sum(leads) measure to my visuals(happens to be a pivot table but I guess that's not relevant as it does the same on a KPI), all the data from table 1 (rpt_listcontacts) remains good, however the sum(leads) from rpt_listleads is crazy wrong, like 100x higher than it should be.  I cant quite figure out what the number is, I'm thinking its something like distinct date * list_ids * hours

I hope this makes sense and hope you can help me understand, is there something obvious glaringly wrong with my approach/understanding.  Please let me know if I can provide anymore information here and look forward to your expert advise:)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi Matt,

So the purpose of this file is to literally add sum(leads) to what I already have so

This sentence suggest me that you want to append data to the current table (kind of UNION ALL), then can use the Concatenate(rpt_ListContact) on the second table load.

So your script will look like this

[rpt_ListContact]:

LOAD

[list_id],

[list_name],

[imported],

[campaign_id],

[call_date],

[call_hour],

[calls],

[dmcs],

[contacts],

[last_import_date]

FROM [lib://qlikid_reports/rpt_ListContact.txt]

(txt, codepage is 1252, embedded labels, delimiter is ',', msq);

Concatenate([rpt_ListContact])

LOAD

[list_id],

[call_date],

[call_hour],

[leads]

FROM [lib://AttachedFiles/rpt_ListLeads.txt]

Otherwise, the synthetic key is correct (I know a lot of people will tell you otherwise). I also had struggle with Qv at the beginning ( I share same background), and reading your query I understand that you predicted that call_date, call_hour and list_id will be appear in both, synthetic key simply creates a new table with all the combinations.

You mention that you get the synthetic key warning, but did you get any data errors? (Just remove the key column as you don't need it)

View solution in original post

8 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

If you already have created the Key field, then you only need to keep the fields that build the Key in either one of the tables, in the one that holds potentially the complete set of field values.

Drop the field from the other table.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you sir and that kind of makes sense however I'm still getting the same results

So my script I changed

FROM

[rpt_ListContact]:

LOAD

[list_id] & [call_date] & [call_hour] AS Key,

[list_id],

[list_name],

[imported],

[campaign_id],

[call_date],

[call_hour],

[calls],

[dmcs],

[contacts],

[last_import_date]

[rpt_ListLeads]:

LOAD

[list_id],

[call_date],

[call_hour],

[leads]

TO

[rpt_ListContact]:

LOAD

[list_id],

[list_name],

[imported],

[campaign_id],

[call_date],

[call_hour],

[calls],

[dmcs],

[contacts],

[last_import_date]

[rpt_ListLeads]:

LOAD

[leads]

This indeed got rid of the synthetic key warning, though what i expect the totals to be on the added rpt_ListLeads.txt file are still C100x more than they should be

Not applicable
Author

Hi Matt,

This sentence suggest me that you want to append data to the current table (kind of UNION ALL), then can use the Concatenate(rpt_ListContact) on the second table load.

So your script will look like this

[rpt_ListContact]:

LOAD

[list_id],

[list_name],

[imported],

[campaign_id],

[call_date],

[call_hour],

[calls],

[dmcs],

[contacts],

[last_import_date]

Concatenate([rpt_ListContact])

LOAD

[list_id],

[call_date],

[call_hour],

[leads]

Otherwise, the synthetic key is correct (I know a lot of people will tell you otherwise). I also had struggle with Qv at the beginning ( I share same background), and reading your query I understand that you predicted that call_date, call_hour and list_id will be appear in both, synthetic key simply creates a new table with all the combinations.

You mention that you get the synthetic key warning, but did you get any data errors? (Just remove the key column as you don't need it)

Not applicable
Author

Another option, look at map_table.

It will look something like that:

[Map_rpt_ListLeads]

Mapping LOAD

[leads]

[rpt_ListContact]:

Load

Applymap('Map_rpt_ListLeads',Key,'No Key Found') as Leads;

LOAD

[list_id],

[list_name],

[imported],

[campaign_id],

[call_date],

[call_hour],

[calls],

[dmcs],

[contacts],

[last_import_date]

Then you'll add Leads to each combination (and actually that's closer to your query).

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

OK cool thank you, I'm starting I think to see the wood for the trees and made some progress with this method.  I'm happy that the synthetic key is correct I think

So to throw a spanner in the works, the UNION ALL similarity bit makes complete sense to me

And now if I sum(leads) I get the correct result.

Now....  In table1 (rpt_ListContacts) I have a field called list_name which I'd like to filter on.  This field does not exist in table2 (rpt_ListLeads).  list_name is simply a definition of list_id

So

If I filter by list_id my table looks like this (see last field) which is goodIfIPivotByListIDItWorksThough.PNG....

And if I change it to list_name it looks like this

TotalsWorkingButNotByListName.PNG

So I suppose internally (if we think of a UNION ALL) then I've got nulls where the list_name would be in table 2 hence it cant link up?

So I guess in laymans terms what I'm trying to get my head around is I need

select

c.list_id,

c.call_date,

c.call_hour,

sum(c.dmcs) as dmcs,

sum(c.contacts) as contacts,

sum(l.leads) as leads

from

rpt_ListContacts c

(right/left) join

rpt_ListLeads l

on c.call_date = l.call_date and c.call_hour = l.call_hour and c.list_id = l.list_id

where c.listname = @listname

group by

c.list_id,

c.call_date,

c.call_hour

I was hoping/expecting the association between list_id, call_date, call_hour in both tables would let me filter on column (for example) list_name in table 1 (rpt_listcontacts)

Making sense?  really appreciate your assistance

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

OK I've marked the correct answer.  I still need to get my head around this better, though the concatenate script from jmolinasa helped me achieve what I wanted

I did however have to put in what I would consider a hack to work properly (as I envisage it) and add my list_name field to both 'tables' exported from SQL so I could filter on that also

Learning curve, thanks for the replies

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for marking it!

Is going to be a way of trial an error.

Some heads up, what I notice from Qv is that they use mapping tables often during the script, I find it kind of joins, as it only adds 1 extra column based on the key, but I'm a bit reluctant to use a silver bullet as I already experience (actually fixed) that a wrong join in sql can drive you to duplicated or triplicated results in some cases.

Regards,

Julio

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Cool thanks again.

Yeah I've not yet ventured to mapping tables, I saw your example, but for me as (luckily?) I have control over the data that comes in that was the quickest and logical solution for now.  Deffo need to learn more scripting/change mindset

Cheers