Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
olivetwist
Creator
Creator

"Open With" using link

I have an app that verifies the data within a list of files and displays a chart with links to the files that have errors. Currently the link opens the Infopath form within Infopath. The issue is that the identified files have an XML error and need to be corrected in Notepad++ (or similar application). I am trying to set the link to something like a desktop shortcut ("C:\Program Files\Notepad++\notepad++.exe" "...\FILE.xml") but it fails to open. Has anyone tried this?

6 Replies
ciaran_mcgowan
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Oliver,

Have you tried creating a Button/Text Object with an Action to Launch?

Right click on the Button/Text Object and in the Actions tab, click Add and select Launch.

Application: Set this to Notepad++'s launch location. By default, this is C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\notepad++.exe

FileName: Set this to the filename (XML) you wish to open

Parameters:

Working Directory: File Path your XMLs are stored (e.g. C:\temp\XML_Folder)

olivetwist
Creator
Creator
Author

I have thought about that. The reason I haven't gone that path is that i would have to select a specific item an then use the button to launch. I was hoping to add it to a straight table chart that lists all of the error files with a "click me" hyperlink. I may not be able to without this method.

ciaran_mcgowan
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

I understand. I'd this the kind of thing you're looking for?

URL Link in Table

olivetwist
Creator
Creator
Author

Yes, This is what i currently have set up. The issue is that the documents are InfoPath forms and as such are opened, by default, in InfoPath. I need them to open in Notepad++.

When you want to open a file, in a different program from the default, you can create a desktop shortcut that links to the program you want. For example to open a page in a different browser you can use this:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" http://www.example.com/path/

This is what i want in the table URL link.

ciaran_mcgowan
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Sorry, I get it now. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how you could accomplish this through launching it through a Link in the table, unless you create a marco or a batch file that is run through the link.

The best I can do in Qlikview to achieve this is create a button/text object that appears when one value in the table is selected and use the Only() function in the chart so that selecting a row won't reduce the amount of data displayed in the table.

See attached.

olivetwist
Creator
Creator
Author

So I have exhausted all options and I think this method is about the best I can get. thank you for the advice.