Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Qlik app stops working after updating on server

I update my Qlik app with new users every week. Almost every time this goes without incident but every once in a while, after the update, the app stops responding. If I or any other user tries to access the app on the Qlik server, they see a white screen without any controls. After some time, the server disconnects/times out.

Other apps on the same server work fine. After a day, the app started working by itself - without me making any changes.

Has anyone ever seen this issue before? What is the reason this happens?

The app works fine on my desktop, it is only on the server that this issue shows up. This is an intermittent issue and I am finding it hard to replicate.

7 Replies
marcus_sommer

I could think in two directions. One assumed that there could be an issue with the document CAL's and after quarantine of 24 hours it worked again. Another thought is that there is a problem with shared-, pgo-  or meta-files. One way to get rid of them could be to restart the qlikview services.

- Marcus

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

What do you mean by "I update my Qlik app with new users every week"? Do you add users to a distribution list? Do you add new users to a Section Access table? Do you add Doc CALs to your document in QMC? Do you add users to the Authorization tab in User Documents? Do you extend NTFS permissions for your document to include new users?

Best,

Peter

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

@Peter I add new users to the Section Access table, refresh my app and then upload to the server.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Marcus. I am not sure what CAL is but the 24 hour quarantine theory seems consistent with the app "magically" working after some time. Thank you for the pointers - I will research your leads and post back in the thread if I find the answer.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

IMHO you should never do this. Try it like this:

• Add new users to Section Access in your document
  • Upload your document to the server
  • Reload & publish your document on the server (not on your PC or in any other environment except if it's identical to your production environment)

In the past I've had too many problems with section access-documents reloaded on my pc or in development not working after being copied to the AccessPoint. I don't even consider doing what you are doing anymore.

Just my 2cts.

Peter

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks, Peter. 

Is there a Qlik publishing best practices document that I can refer to?

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Not that I know of.

As I said before, this is my experience in dealing with documents with section access that are developed somewhere else and published on a server. It may work for you as well.

Peter