Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Is it possible to programmatically create a brand new QV visualization via the QV API?

Is it possible to programmatically create a brand new QV visualization using the QV API? In this scenario, I would learn about the structure of the data at run-time, so my web application code code would need to programmatically create a QV load script on the fly, run it, then create filters and charts - all done programmatically from the web application, issuing API commands to QlikView. Is that possible? TIA

9 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You can do that from inside QV Desktop or from outside QV Desktop using the OCX and any .NET programming language you like  But from a "web application"?... Which web application?

The QlikView server is just the QlikView server. It has a management API and has a capability to display QVW documents in a variety of clients. AFAIK is has no interface to design documents.

I'm sure you mean some other "web application"

Best,

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Thank you for the quick reply, Peter. We would be creating a new .NET application, that would need to parse the source data, do some other, unrelated stuff with it, and then create a QlikView document. I am not a web developer - are interaction with OCX allowed in a web-based, intranet application - aren't there some security concerns about using OCX? Thanks

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

The OCX is an embeddable QlikView component. If you have the proper license (OEM license required, and not single use unfortunately, more for embedding in other products) you use it as a stand-alone QlikView component and do with it whatever you (and Qlik) like.

Since the OCX is also installed with every Desktop installation (and uses the leased license), you can use it with the regular QlikView API. As far as I know, making your application secure is entirely up to you or to the developer that is tasked with creating the required application.

Best,

Peter

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

This is much easier to do in Qlik Sense. If you are beginning this as a new project, can you consider using Qlik Sense instead of QlikView?

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Thank you, rwunderlich and pcammaert‌. Is there a link to the API documentation that you can point me to, or perhaps post a PDF here (we don't own a QlikView plant and are evaluating options)?

Rob, QlikSense is an option - can you please explain how QS is different from QV, from the API-based document manipulation perspective?

Thanks!

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

There is no QlikView API documentation in the classical sense. But QlikView comes with a highly useful and interactive APIGuide.qvw QlikView document. Download and install the free QlikView version and check the ProgramData\QlikTech\QlikView Documentation folder.

Best,

Peter

Not applicable
Author

APIGuide.qvw didn't get installed. I just downloaded the QlikView Desktop 12 personal edition, and the only qvw files i got with it were:

Data Visualization.qvw

Getting Started.qvw

Movies Database.qvw

Prescription Tracker.qvw

Qlik DataMarket.qvw

QlikView Developer Toolkit.qvw

Retail Store Performance.qvw

Thanks

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Yuri,

The QV API is COM based. The QS API is REST based, making it ideal for webapps. The developer doc for QS is here: http://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense-developer/3.0/Content/Home-developer.htm

Through the mashup APIs, you can create embed existing visualizations or create visualizations on the fly using only code: Mashups ‒ Qlik Sense

I've seen several demos and discussions about materializing QS apps on the fly or "app on demand". Check out and talk to the folks over at Qlik Branch.

-Rob

http://masterssummit.com

http://qlikviewcookbook.com

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Aparently, there is a copy available in the Qlik Community Resource Library: API GUIDE - Version 11