Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How do I select a field in a chart to highlight my selection without filtering out the other fields?

Is there a way to highlight the selected field without drilling or filtering out the rest of the fields in a bar chart? In other words, I'd like all of the fields to stay static in a bar chart but when I select on field A, for example, that gets highlighted but Field B and Field C remains on the chart.

Here, I have my dimension set to =if(Category='A', DimensionA) and my expression set to 1-[Value]

Any help is appreciated!

10 Replies
sunny_talwar

May be like this as your expression:

1 - Only({<[Field B], [Field C]>} Value)

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Sunny! That worked. In addition, I figured how to highlight. I placed this script in the background color of my expression to highlight by color the field that was selected if anyone is having the same issue :

=if(match([Value],Only({$}[Value])),
Blue(),
LightGray())

sunny_talwar

You might be able to further shorten this using this:

=If([Value], Blue(), LightGray())

Not applicable
Author

That's true! I just realized that doing this affects the other charts in the dashboard. Is there a way to keep the other dashboard fields static as well so that selecting a field in one chart won't affect the other charts?

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Sunny! That does work but I have other charts in sheet 2 that reacts to these bar charts. Meaning any selections I make in my 3 bar charts will reflect pie charts in sheet 2 (or tab 2). How do I proceed with creating 3 alternate states for these bar charts and still have it interact with the pie charts in sheet 2? In the pie charts, I have the calculated dimension for one alternate state as: =$(=only({[AlternateStateA]} Dimension))

This works just fine with one alternate state but I'm not sure how to incorporate the 2 other ones in this calculated dimension. I really appreciate your help!!

sunny_talwar

I think you need to provide a sample to help us understand what you have and what you need. It is difficult to imagine and provide response. Can you provide a sample of what you have?

Not applicable
Author

Unfortunately, the data cannot be shared. Thanks though Sunny! I'm going to see if someone on site can help me with this and get back to you!

sunny_talwar

If confidentiality is the concern here, you can check here:

Preparing examples for Upload - Reduction and Data Scrambling