Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

<result><message text="Empty response" /></result> when exporting to Excel in QV Access Point

This issue started when we upgraded from QV9 to QV10. At first the issue was intermittent, but over a month or so, during which usage increased somewhat, the problem started to happen more often than not. Still, a second attempt would often be successful. Now, however, we get the excel file saying <result><message text="Empty response" /></result> every time we attempt an export using IE7, 8 or 9; Firefox 3.5, 3.6 and 4; and Chrome 12.x. However, if a user logs into one of our QV servers and opens a report with the desktop client, even if it is stored remotely, they will succeed every time...in fact, the export to excel is about the only thing that happens quickly in QV, even for our largest reports. We've had issues with support, and our most experienced QV admin is abroad for a few weeks. Any suggestions? Please feel free to request more info about our environment if needed.

Thanks!

J

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

This issue was resolved by running a repair install of QV10 on both servers in our cluster. Thanks!

View solution in original post

21 Replies
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi there,

This is not an issue I have come across with QV10. Are you running SR1 of QV10 on your server? This is probably the first thing to ensure.

It may be a time-out issue, you can up various time-out settings in the management console. Is the server stretched at all or is it running with plenty of free CPU and Memory?

Regards,
Steve

Not applicable
Author

Hey Steve. Thanks for the reply. We are running SR1 - QVS version is 10.00.8811.0409.10. The server is definitely stretched at times. It's an 8-core xeon running at 2.5GHz with 64GB RAM, and it isn't uncommon to see both memory and cpu usage top 90%. We have 12 qvw's over 1GB, one of those is a 3GB file. When a user opens that one, it eats up 9-12 GB memory by itself. My gut feeling is that this problem is load-related, but we want to be sure that's it before we invest in another monster server.

I will definitely look at upping timeout values in the management console and let you know if we see any improvement.

Thanks again.

Jason

Not applicable
Author

I was able to test with the server under no load, and get the same results. When I try the export from AccessPoint, it goes very quickly, within a second or so I am prompted to save or open the excel file. I combed through the Management Console looking for timeout values that might apply, and searched the Reference Manual to be sure i wasn't missing one somewhere. All timeout values are set high enough that they can't account for the quick export of the empty excel sheet. Is there a particular timeout setting you had in mind when making the suggestion? If not, it looks like both of my theories about what's going wrong are disproven.

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi there,

It may be one to escalate to support@qlik.com . They will want full details of both server and client side sent along with the description of the issue. You could also send a link to this thread in QlikCommunity.

Regards,
Steve

Not applicable
Author

We do have a ticket open, but things are moving very slowly. Thought I'd give the community a shot. Thanks for your help.

Not applicable
Author

This issue was resolved by running a repair install of QV10 on both servers in our cluster. Thanks!

Not applicable
Author

I know this is an answered question, but I wanted to add that I had the same symptom as a result my server's C: drive being out of disk space.  The problem stopped occurring as soon as I freed some disk space.

kenneth_syverts
Contributor II
Contributor II

Just to let you know, we have the same issue after upgrading from 9 sr6 to 10 sr4.

- and it didn't help to "repair" - or restart

Not applicable
Author

Hi, I have de same issue with QV10 sr4, after upgrading from QV9 sr6.

You know how resolve?

Thks