Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Better representation of two or more expressions onto a chart

Hi,

in a QV 10 document I have calculated two expressions to show onto a chart, f.e. Ordered and Invoiced. Moreover I have two dimensions like Product and Year-Month. Year-Month is a group (hierarchy), with Year as the first field and Month as the second one in the group. Regardless to the chart style, onto a chart I can see the two expressions represented f.e. in the same bar, but I'd like to have adiacent bars, each bar for expression to represent.

Does exist a manner to adjust better this chart, please? Thanks

6 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello Andy,

Go to the chart properties, Style tab, check Grouped instead of Stacked.

Is that what you are looking for?

Not applicable
Author

Hi.

The style is already Grouped. I underline that I use two dimensions and one is a drill-down group Year + Month.

I think that for two or more dimensions it isn't possible to have a Grouped representation.

Thanks

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello,

If you use two dimensions then expressions in bar chart will be stacked per dimension value.

If you don't want that, you may create one expression per dimension value, and remove that dimension (not the drill down one) from the chart.

Hope that helps.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Miguel,

thanks for your technical suggest. But in QV, logically and not technically, does an expression on a chart represent a measure and not a dimension? Thanks

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

In its simplest way, I understand the dimension (and its values) as the X Axis (what) in a cartesian chart, and the dimension and the expressions in the Y Axis (how). Waht do you want to show? Countries. How do you want to represent them? By amount of sales.

In other words, I see an expression as the aggregation of one field (amount) grouped by the value of another field (Country). All of these can be a measure rather than a dimension depending on the vocabulary you use? Yes.

Hope that makes sense.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Miguel,

we suppose to have to show two measures, OrderedAmount and InvoicedAmount. These measures (or aggregations) are grouped by two dimensions, the first one is Products and the second one is Years (or Years + Months as a hierarchic dimension). But generally I could have more two dimensions (another one it could be Customers).

Now, in QV a measure represents an expression to put onto a chart. So I can put OrderedAmount expression and InvoicedAmount expression as Y Axis, and Products & Years represent two dimensions and putting them as X Axis I have a stacked graph. If I put Products or Years as a measure or a QV expression, I have an adiacent bar near to OrderedAmount or InvoicedAmount. It make sense to match amount of the orders with amount of the invoices, but not sense to match these two measures with Products or Years, that are both dimensions.

Thanks